Swype Installation Errors in CM6

Hiroller173

Reaction score
I had done everything mentioned above and still had problems. After force closing swype and clearing its data, then deleting swype and the installer, I used root manager to look for any remaining files. Other than files on the sd card, I found one file in the /data/data directory and I removed that.

Then rebooted, installed from the latest email and everything works.:icon_ banana:

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
The only way I was able to get it to work was:

1). Install Swype Installer
2). Install Swype
3). Go into Settings | Applications | Swype
4). Force Stop, Clear Data
5). Uninstall Swype
6). Go into Settings | Applications SwypeInstaller
7). Force Stop, Clear Data
8). Uninstall SwypeInstaller
9). Reboot
10). Install Swype Installer
11). Install Swype

That "Clear Data" step was what did it for me. It seems that stale data is No Good - even when you clear data when it's already installed. I had to clear data, THEN uninstall, THEN reinstall. Working fine, now!

tried this and no luck still. gonna give the below idea a shot. i'll report back.

I had done everything mentioned above and still had problems. After force closing swype and clearing its data, then deleting swype and the installer, I used root manager to look for any remaining files. Other than files on the sd card, I found one file in the /data/data directory and I removed that.

Then rebooted, installed from the latest email and everything works.:icon_ banana:

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Are you running CM6 or a nightly build at this point?

CM6 and i tried the above trick and it didn't work. I've also tried this:

Uninstall both Swype and SwypeInstaller from your device - detailed directions here
Reboot your device
Close as many widgets from your desktop as possible
Download the SwypeInstaller
Use a task-manager to kill all non-essential running apps
(If you are not familiar with the task-manager, you can skip this, but you may see the error again)
Install and run the SwypeInstaller

which is off the swype website.

I'm at a loss at this point. I have NO IDEA how to do get it to work. Guess i'm stuck with the leaked version from last week. sucks b/c you have to reselect swype every time the phone is rebooted.

Also, i was/am a beta tester from day one. gah!:icon_evil:

forkup

Reaction score
Two things to try...one is to use adb. Use adb shell then pm list packages to get the name of the swype packages then use pm uninstall package.name replacing package.name with what pm list package returned with the word swype in it. That will completely remove swype. Next reboot and install from the beta email. The other method is to find the leaked stand alone swype apk floating around :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
One last question before suggesting some more radical things, which I'm sure you've answered a ton of times already -- are you using the latest installer? I know at one point they suggested getting the latest version to fix a problem people were having, so I know they do update it occasionally.

(Not in on the Beta so don't know how it works. :))

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Two things to try...one is to use adb. Use adb shell then pm list packages to get the name of the swype packages then use pm uninstall package.name replacing package.name with what pm list package returned with the word swype in it. That will completely remove swype. Next reboot and install from the beta email. The other method is to find the leaked stand alone swype apk floating around :)

I'm not familiar with adb. I know what it is and all that jazz, but actually being comfortable executing commands, i'm not. Can I use terminal emulator on the phone? What would the commands look like?

One last question before suggesting some more radical things, which I'm sure you've answered a ton of times already -- are you using the latest installer? I know at one point they suggested getting the latest version to fix a problem people were having, so I know they do update it occasionally.

(Not in on the Beta so don't know how it works. :))

Yeah, i've been resending the beta email invite to get the latest installer. Good suggestion though.

Maybe i'll reinstall CM6 and do a wipe of everything.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score

Using terminal emulator, pm list packages returns all the packages

pm uninstall com.swype.android.installer returns a message that just says

[1] Killed pm uninstall com.swype.android.installer

maybe i'm using the command wrong?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The reinstall and wipe was my radical suggestion. :)

Boot into recovery and wipe your data/Dalvik caches if you're running CW and data cache if you're running SPR. If you're running SPR you'll probably need to either run Cachemate or wipe Dalvik through the terminal. I can dig up the code for the latter if you want to give it a chance. None of this will mess with your installed apps.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
The reinstall and wipe was my radical suggestion. :)

Boot into recovery and wipe your data/Dalvik caches if you're running CW and data cache if you're running SPR. If you're running SPR you'll probably need to either run Cachemate or wipe Dalvik through the terminal. I can dig up the code for the latter if you want to give it a chance. None of this will mess with your installed apps.

wiped all everything and just reinstalled CM6. First thing i installed was Swype and it worked perfectly. Then, just restored apps via Titanium. Took half an hour, but i never could figure out what was causing the errors. oh well.

it works now! dancedroid