Swype Installation Errors in CM6

naman919

Reaction score
I have asked in several other threads about issues installing Swype and it's not been resolved. I figured I'd start a new one. I did search, but I'm not the best at filtering the results.

I have never been able to get Swype properly installed since updating to CM6. I've been a beta member since the initial android release so that's not the issue.

I keep resending myself the new installer via their site, then logging in and downloading the current version (even the new 2.4.44.10912 version today) and still i cannot get it to allow swyping action. I get the "this is meant for another device" crap screen. Even going back and forth between the android and swype keyboard doesn't fix the issue.

What is going on? I have it installed on the SD card, but manually moved it to the phone and still no luck.

Last edited:

loop4zil

Reaction score
I have asked in sever other threads about issues installing Swype it's not been resolved. I figured I'd start a New one. I did search, but I'm not the best at filtering the results.

I have never been able to get Swype properly installed since updating to CM6. I've been a beta member since the initial android release so that's not the issue.

I keep resending myself the new installer via their site, then logging in and downloading the current version (even the new 2.4.44.10912 version today) and still i cannot get it to allow swyping action. I get the "this is meant for another device" crap screen. Even going back and forth between the android and swype screen doesn't fix the issue.

What is going on? I have it installed on the SD card, but manually moved it to the phone and still no luck.

I had to uninstall swype and the swype installer.

REBOOT <-------this is important

reinstall the swype installer
then reinstall swype

it worked after that

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I have asked in sever other threads about issues installing Swype it's not been resolved. I figured I'd start a New one. I did search, but I'm not the best at filtering the results.

I keep resending myself the new installer via their site, then logging in and downloading the current version (even the new 2.4.44.10912 version today) and still i cannot get it to allow swyping action. I get the "this is meant for another device" crap screen. Even going back and forth between the android and swype screen doesn't fix the issue.

Keyboards NEED to be stored on the phone, or they won't work, period. Moving it to the SD card and back again might be enough to screw it up. Mine was working great until I tried to upgrade it today, and now I am in the same boat as you.

Here's what I tried:
1). Remove swype entirely. Go into applications and remove both the installer AND the installed swype keyboard. If either of them say "failed", try clearing data for it, then removing it. Make sure you verify that now the standard android keyboard comes up, and the word "swype" shows up nowhere in the applications list.
2). Install a fresh version of the installer. Make sure that's the one you install, and not an old copy you have in your downloads folder
3). Enable swype in the inputs/keyboard settings menu
4). Turn on swype as the input method in some app that has a text box

At this point you should see the swype keyboard come up. It might come up but not actually WORK properly. As in, hitting individual keys work, but swyping just makes the border flash blue and nothing comes up. It just did that for me just now when I followed these steps to reinstall mine to test it. Here's what I've tried since:

1). Reboot the phone. (didn't work)
2). Force stop, Clear data, (both under applications)

At this point, I got this message:

"The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact Swype about this issue"

Worth noting that I did the DPI hack mentioned in another thread (modified build.prop) and I disabled "Compatibility Mode". Either of these could cause this.

mattg1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it make's a difference but I'm running the 9/13 nightly and swype installed fine.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it make's a difference but I'm running the 9/13 nightly and swype installed fine.

Did you reinstall swype when you installed the nightly? Did you erase the application data at any point for Swype?

mattg1

Reaction score

Did you reinstall swype when you installed the nightly? Did you erase the application data at any point for Swype?

To be honest I haven't used Swype in a long time but I go the new beta and installed it to give it another shot sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

To be honest I haven't used Swype in a long time but I go the new beta and installed it to give it another shot sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Can you check to see if it "swypes"? Mine installed fine as well, and the keyboard even shows up and allows single letters to be typed, but when I connect letters together it just flashes and produces nothing.

mattg1

Reaction score

Can you check to see if it "swypes"? Mine installed fine as well, and the keyboard even shows up and allows single letters to be typed, but when I connect letters together it just flashes and produces nothing.

Yea It work's fine used it alot today.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
I had to uninstall swype and the swype installer.

REBOOT <-------this is important

reinstall the swype installer
then reinstall swype

it worked after that

zero luck with that. Same issue. Will not perform swyping action.

I followed those to a T and before i rebooted i changed the application settings in CM6 to Internal for the install location. Rebooted and reinstalled. No luck at all. wtf is going on!?

*tried to switch between android keyboard and swype and got the "configured for another device" error.

EbE404

Reaction score
I got the notification for the new beta (I'm part of the program) the day after I flashed CM6, and the installation gave me fits for a while. I did finally get it to work following these steps:

1. Uninstall both Swype and the installer.
2. Reboot.
3. Using the beta e-mail, download the new installer.
4. Run the installer. Make sure to install internally, not to SD
5. Configure as normal and Swype away.

It was that reboot immediately after uninstalling the apps that made the difference for me.

Now, in the e-mail and on the forums, they seemed to allude to the fact that some people were having issues and that additional information could be found on their forum. They also mentioned shutting down as many widgets and extra apps as possible while running the install, I don't recall seeing that instruction before. For folks who these steps do not help, I would suggest hitting the Swype forum-they are generally very helpful and responsive.

For the record, I can only vouch for this for people who are using the official beta.

GoGators

Reaction score
I got the notification for the new beta (I'm part of the program) the day after I flashed CM6, and the installation gave me fits for a while. I did finally get it to work following these steps:

1. Uninstall both Swype and the installer.
2. Reboot.
3. Using the beta e-mail, download the new installer.
4. Run the installer. Make sure to install internally, not to SD
5. Configure as normal and Swype away.

It was that reboot immediately after uninstalling the apps that made the difference for me.

Now, in the e-mail and on the forums, they seemed to allude to the fact that some people were having issues and that additional information could be found on their forum. They also mentioned shutting down as many widgets and extra apps as possible while running the install, I don't recall seeing that instruction before. For folks who these steps do not help, I would suggest hitting the Swype forum-they are generally very helpful and responsive.

For the record, I can only vouch for this for people who are using the official beta.

This method worked for me. I am glad to have my Swype back. Let's see what is new with the new beta finally.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
The only way I was able to get it to work was:

1). Install Swype Installer
2). Install Swype
3). Go into Settings | Applications | Swype
4). Force Stop, Clear Data
5). Uninstall Swype
6). Go into Settings | Applications SwypeInstaller
7). Force Stop, Clear Data
8). Uninstall SwypeInstaller
9). Reboot
10). Install Swype Installer
11). Install Swype

That "Clear Data" step was what did it for me. It seems that stale data is No Good - even when you clear data when it's already installed. I had to clear data, THEN uninstall, THEN reinstall. Working fine, now!

kprz24

Reaction score
can someone give me a link for the swype.apk for moto droid for some reson i cant install via swype installer.apk

jhhoffma

Reaction score
That is not allowed @ DF. Swype is a closed beta and distribution (or discussion of the distribution) of the .apk are against forum rules.

Either way, the Swype installer is the only way to install the current version of Swype.

EbE404

Reaction score
That is not allowed @ DF. Swype is a closed beta and distribution (or discussion of the distribution) of the .apk are against forum rules.

Either way, the Swype installer is the only way to install the current version of Swype.

Correct.

I will speak to kprz24's issue, if s/he is part of the official beta. When I downloaded the new installer, I would get an error message about Swype already being installed, even though I had uninstalled both the original app and the installer.

If you are part of the official beta, and that is the issue you are having, my earlier post describes the steps I used to get it to work.