Swype help needed!

Lars1

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have lost the ability to install Swype. (and I'm going crazy without it!)

I have removed and uninstalled every Swype related thing on my phone (using Root Explorer and Astro), including the installer, program and back-ups, but every time I try to re-install it gives me a "Download Failed, Swype is already installed error".

I have tried re-booting after the uninstall, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
hey buddy swype is a closed beta and some people get edgy about the discussion check your pms see if it helps you

Duhman

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have removed and uninstalled every Swype related thing on my phone (using Root Explorer and Astro), including the installer, program and back-ups, but every time I try to re-install it gives me a "Download Failed, Swype is already installed error".

TIA

Try it again, doing the same things you did above w/ one exception.

After the Swype installer downloads Swype keyboard and you install it, a screen will come up w/ OK greyed out and a Done button (which if you click it will tell you swype is already installed). Do not click done, just back out of this screen w/ the back arrow menu button. It should go to the registration window and allow you to setup swype.

This was the only way I could get it to install.

HTH!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you aren't signed up with the beta testing you could try slideIT. I tried it and like it more than swype which is unbelievable. I like the shortkeys you can make. Good luck! :D

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

It sounds like you're missing something. If you've removed both Swype and the Swype Installer then you should be good to go. You might want to check using the various applications filters when removing. I thought I had removed everything only to find Swype still listed under one of the filters.

The manager of the beta program has a recommended process posted in the Swype Beta forums that you might want to look at.

hey buddy swype is a closed beta and some people get edgy about the discussion check your pms see if it helps you
Discussion's not really an issue. Distributing is.

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you aren't signed up with the beta testing you could try slideIT. I tried it and like it more than swype which is unbelievable. I like the shortkeys you can make. Good luck! :D

really i just removed slideit swype seems to be more accurate then slideit and i like the face better in swype better also

RadHal

Reaction score
I spent hours trying to install the latest September beta update. Here are some things I tried
- look at recommendations from the Swype beta forum on their website search for FAQ and errors Swype | Text Input for Screens
- temporarily stop using launcher programs such as ADW, Launcher Pro, DXtop and use stock android desktop (may need to download "Home Switcher")
- stop all (unnecessary) running service Setting-Application-Running services
- use a task manager eg "Advanced task Manager" or "Advanced Task Killer" to close all but most essential programs
-Temporarily stop/remove Beautiful Widgets from your home screen and any other running widget
- remove any vius programs like Lookout (these can all be re-installed later)
-Basically you want to have as little running as possible to free up space/memory
- follow other advice with regards removing/uninstalling Swype and the Installer and use a Program like Astro to search the entire phone incl SD card for remants of Swype
-After downloading the installer do a reboot before logging in and proceeding with the installation

Keep trying, eventually it will work, it's worth it though I'm not sure why I always struggle to update Swype - Good luck

dkscudder

Reaction score
Hey all,

TIA

Where you able to fix this? I had this problem for the last few days, but finally got it to work.

The installer process has to survive the install process (if you follow). Some roms are particularly aggressive at killing unused processes which can cause some issues. I used a memory manager (Auto Memory, but there may be better ones out there) to crank up the priority of the installer and then killed every process that wasn't a part of the Android System (I used SystemPanel lite). Then I ran through the installer again, the process survived and properly registered after the install.

That probably made no sense, but I'm trying. Way too many uses for words like "install" and "process" :)

Peace.

OP
Lars1

Lars1

Reaction score
Hey all,

TIA

Where you able to fix this? I had this problem for the last few days, but finally got it to work.

The installer process has to survive the install process (if you follow). Some roms are particularly aggressive at killing unused processes which can cause some issues. I used a memory manager (Auto Memory, but there may be better ones out there) to crank up the priority of the installer and then killed every process that wasn't a part of the Android System (I used SystemPanel lite). Then I ran through the installer again, the process survived and properly registered after the install.

That probably made no sense, but I'm trying. Way too many uses for words like "install" and "process" :)

Peace.

Thanks for the reply,

I have not get it to work yet. I have tried 10 times today, following all of the above suggestions (except yours, which I will try now).

Which running processes can I safely kill and will they stay dead?

Also, did you do all of the other things mentioned above or just the things you listed?

Thanks.

OP
Lars1

Lars1

Reaction score
Hey all,

TIA

Peace.

Also, would you mind laying out the steps you went through to achieve success?

I would greatly appreciate it!

dkscudder

Reaction score
Also, would you mind laying out the steps you went through to achieve success?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Well, I was trying to lay out the steps the first time, but I'll try again:

• I un-installed the Swype Keyboard.
  • I used a memory manager to up the priority of the "Swype Installer" process. After you install the memory manager, launch the Swype installer but don't enter your email and password. Open the memory manger, find the process, and change the priority. I did this with a program called "Auto Memory," but it kept lowering the process on me. In the end it may have done me no good, but I'm including it since I'm not sure. If this worked correctly, I think it should have been the only step needed, but I digress...
  • I used SystemPanel to kill every process except for Android System processes. I like this app because it lets you choose what types of processes are included in the kill action. If you don't already have a task manager that does this, download this one. It is pretty intuitive. Yes, some processes will start again right away. You can't do anything about it, so don't worry about it. Once you are successful, reboot your phone.
  • The Swype FAQ for this error says to remove all your widgets from your home screen. I have a bunch and didn't feel like putting them all back on my home screens, so I didn't do this. If you have a widget or two that are particularly memory-hungry, you might want to remove them.
  • Go back to the Swype Installer and install as you normally would. If your Android system kills the "Swype Installer" process while you are doing the install of the actual Swype keyboard, then you will see the error again. You'll want to take more drastic steps to make sure that you have plenty of memory available while doing the install.
I'm guessing that you are rooted and running a custom rom. Some of the roms out there are very aggressive at killing programs in the background. You might want to go to the forum for your ROM and look for tips on how to dial back the aggression. (For extra points, try to use the phrase "dial back the aggression" in a normal conversation today.)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try it again, doing the same things you did above w/ one exception.

After the Swype installer downloads Swype keyboard and you install it, a screen will come up w/ OK greyed out and a Done button (which if you click it will tell you swype is already installed). Do not click done, just back out of this screen w/ the back arrow menu button. It should go to the registration window and allow you to setup swype.

This was the only way I could get it to install.

HTH!

On the http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/79981-latest-swype-beta-droid-problem.html thread that didn't work so I didn't try that.

I ended up doing the install 4 times before it registered (same as every time I've had to install Swype). Even then I got an FC on the Installer where they're telling you how to enable it. Fortunately I already knew the procedure and it worked.

One thing I noticed is that the Installer adds about 4mb of data after it's used for the first time. I wonder if clearing the data would help.

OP
Lars1

Lars1

Reaction score
Well after trying every conceivable thing (probably tried 25 times!) I finally got it to work!

Thanks for all of your help.