1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Swype for root?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Isaiah, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

So... until recently, Swype has worked fine with my rooted droid. I just backed up from my titanium restore thing, and it worked. But then i tried a different method of restore, and it didn't keep all my user data, so I went to do titanium restore to get my data... But I accidentally backed up to titanium, which wrote over all my old apps.

And now swype the app won't work, and if i run swype installer and install it again, it says that swype was designed for a different phone and won't work on this one. Does anybody know how to fix this? or atleast have a swype APK i could have? Thanks.

Also does anybody know how long it will take for the official 2.1 to get rooted? thanks againnn
  2. hayaku

hayaku New Member

it loses it's setting, especially after a reboot but you can fix this.

go back into settings, unselect/disable swype, exit settings. (this clears it somehow).

then go back into settings, enable swype, it gives you the whole input method message again. exit swype. go into any app that has a text field, long press, select input method and select swype. it should be working again till the next reboot where it will complain that its not made for this device again.
  3. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

menu> settings> keyboard> disable swype and enable stock
    home> menu> keyboard> diable the stock and enable Swype.
    Sadly, you have to do this after every restart which can be a PITA, but it's worth it :)
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Nope. still doesn't work :-( sucks.
  5. HermitObserver

Are you sure only the Swype keyboard is enabled?
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Yep, I tried pretty much every combination between. Always hit the home button before. if you want my exact steps > use swype installer >install swype > enable/disable keyboards > it says it was designed for something else. i can still type on the swype keyboard... i just can't swype to type.

It might be worth mentioning that im using the ere53 build of cyanmod
  7. HermitObserver

idk, i don't mess with cyanogen. I hit you with everything I know, hope someone else will come over and help you :)
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Yeah. Im imagining that swype updated, and because i ran the swype installer it got the new version. Maybe swype is anti-rooting
  9. Creyendo

Creyendo New Member

Huh, I'm currently using the 5.0.5.4 droid version of Swype (though I'm using the leaked version) and I was able to install it just fine (after installing cyanogen).

So I guess the only question/help I can offer is, are you using the official beta or a leaked version? Maybe that changes something?
  10. hayaku

hayaku New Member

just got an easier way to re-enable it. my phone ran out of juice and i forgot about it. so i tried this.

when it reboots, it complains about the swype version not being made for this device, blah blah blah.

just go into any text entry field and tap it. it brings up the swype keyboard but it won't work so don't bother trying to swype. long press on the text input field and select input method. select android keyboard and exit the keyboard by pressing "back". long press on the text input field again and select input method and select swype. swype now works again :)

this is on cyanogenmod 5.0.5.4
  11. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL New Member

My Swype just doesn't want to work, period. It's constantly FCing. Driving me nuts.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

I don't know for sure, but maybe if you download rom manager and do "fix permissions" that MIGHT fix it
  13. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL New Member

Not a bad idea, I'll give that a whirl. Thanks!
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

I heard somebody was having a problem FC problem with wi-fi tether (i had the same problem, but i just switched roms) but somebody told them to try that, so maybe it'll work for you too
  15. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL New Member

It didn't. But I did uninstall and reinstall, which stopped the FCing. But I'm still getting the expired message for it. I've tried the tricks posted here, but nuttin. I've seen that message before, but it has somehow bypassed it. I want my Swype back! Thanks for your help, though.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

heres what i did: saved my rom, went to a backup rom where swype still worked, made a backup with it using titanium restore > then restored the rom where swype didn't work > then restored swype.
  17. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL New Member

That makes sense, thanks! I couldn't figure out why I've seen that message before but still somehow passed it, and it must have been from flashing back to an older ROM, which I had done pretty often in the past. I'll have to commit that to memory. In the meanwhile, someone told me on another forum to find the 5612.apk file. That did the trick, so I'll make sure I backup this copy. Thanks for all your help!
  18. hayaku

hayaku New Member

you could just go to the swype website, sign up for free and get their official downloader which gets you the latest version...
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

i don't think that works for what we're talking about
  20. hayaku

hayaku New Member

what do you mean?

i'm rooted and running swype. the leaked beta version expired on me as well. the only version that works properly is the official version from the website that you need to get the installer and the inputmethod apk as well.

all other versions are flaky. am i still not understanding correctly or is there a different swype you are talking about?