Swype for Android is time limited

BizzyGeek

Reaction score
Thanks for the complements Prof! Incidentally my grades in B School were pretty good :).

I really respect your reasoning. All I'm saying is that if it comes to a point that the device manufacturers don't see value in paying extra consideration for contractual provisions that prevent Swype from selling on Android market, I think Swype will make the leap in-spite of the incremental development and support costs involved.

And if they weren't bound by such considerations now or the contemplation of those considerations in the near future I think they'd be investigating opening up that channel sooner rather than later.

Eventually I think that the technology will be sufficiently promoted to create some real traction in the Market. I also think that Android is uniquely built to support these types of 'after-market' text inputs whereas T9 really had to be built into the dumbphones. They just weren't designed for those types of modifications.

And the majority of the up-front costs will have already been borne by the OEM contracts when the product reaches that stage of its lifecycle where they have to consider retail to achieve further market penetration and growth.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
The Next Level of Discussion

Thanks for the complements Prof! Incidentally my grades in B School were pretty good :).

I really respect your reasoning. All I'm saying is that if it comes to a point that the device manufacturers don't see value in paying extra consideration for contractual provisions that prevent Swype from selling on Android market, I think Swype will make the leap in-spite of the incremental development and support costs involved.

And if they weren't bound by such considerations now or the contemplation of those considerations in the near future I think they'd be investigating opening up that channel sooner rather than later.

Eventually I think that the technology will be sufficiently promoted to create some real traction in the Market. I also think that Android is uniquely built to support these types of 'after-market' text inputs whereas T9 really had to be built into the dumbphones. They just weren't designed for those types of modifications.

And the majority of the up-front costs will have already been borne by the OEM contracts when the product reaches that stage of its lifecycle where they have to consider retail to achieve further market penetration and growth.

Good grief! I should be reading a thesis or dissertation! Well written and certainly defendable.

You make my brain hurt! I teach fifteen hours of business classes every week and bet that many of my students would love to read your rationale instead of my textbook.

Aside from academic defense of Swype's business strategy, I admire their truly revolutionary (not evolutionary) technology. I wish I had their creative mindset and the ability to apply that creativity to the marketplace.

Instead, I'll just teach business. It's a great life and the best job I've ever had. (Trained 100,000 managers in ten nations with Ken Blanchard's One Minute Manger and Situational Leadership II since the 80's).

Woo Hoo.....