Swype for Android is time limited

GolfProRM

Reaction score
The warning about key logging comes up on any keyboard app you install. If you notice when you install Swype, it does not have internet permissions, so even if it did log everything, it couldn't do anything with it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The warning about key logging comes up on any keyboard app you install. If you notice when you install Swype, it does not have internet permissions, so even if it did log everything, it couldn't do anything with it.
Ok ok. Some sanity and reasoning at last.

LordKastle

Reaction score
That was my point a while ago...when changing the keyboard method in settings, it will say that warning every time. It says this because if someone was to download a fake malware program as a keyboard, it has the potential to log every stroke.

I just don't get the idea of how people go from that to saying something along the lines of "of course it logs keystrokes does due to it being a beta program." If you could show me anything of that nature, then please show me...KZIWarrior or whoever.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really? Every day on every discussion forum I visit there are examples of people reading what they want to read versus what is actually written. Doesn't seem like too much of a leap for people to misunderstand the canned warnings when they install apps. They're just assuming that "can" means "does".

WOW... just read the actual article... what MORONS.... in the current market trend (i.e. micro-transactions) wtf would such a company ONLY limit themselves to the OEM market...
Just because you don't understand doesn't mean that they're morons. It's entirely possible that they don't want to support each and every individual user per the other threads on Swype. It's entirely possible that they have other reasons as well. Micropayments may work for many developers but that doesn't mean that they work for all developers.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really? Every day on every discussion forum I visit there are examples of people reading what they want to read versus what is actually written. Doesn't seem like too much of a leap for people to misunderstand the canned warnings when they install apps. They're just assuming that "can" means "does".

WOW... just read the actual article... what MORONS.... in the current market trend (i.e. micro-transactions) wtf would such a company ONLY limit themselves to the OEM market...
Just because you don't understand doesn't mean that they're morons. It's entirely possible that they don't want to support each and every individual user per the other threads on Swype. It's entirely possible that they have other reasons as well. Micropayments may work for many developers but that doesn't mean that they work for all developers.
Professor Ray, (sorry for putting your name front and center) had some good insight as to why Swype would push for OEM only. It was either earlier posts in this thread, or the other Swype thread.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just don't get the idea of how people go from that to saying something along the lines of "of course it logs keystrokes does due to it being a beta program." If you could show me anything of that nature, then please show me...KZIWarrior or whoever.

I never said that in fact it DID, just that I would not be surprised if it did nor would I particularly care. IF it did the data collected would be huge and analyzed by computers not see by anyone (here it comes, 'someone could see it')... guess what, someone at Google, Amazon, Verizon ect. has WAY more important 'private' information on you that is far more easily accessed.
Beside I'm willing to bet many of you sit at your local coffee shop(s) or your work and use their wi-fi, guess what.... Get a life people, you and your 'private data' aren't as important as you believe. And last I saw 'dumpster diving' and phone scams were still BY FAR the number one means of identity and privacy theft.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Fair enough, particularly from the support standpoint. Time will tell.
But with competitors (e.g. ShapeWriter, which is already successful on iPhone market) going the other route what incentive is there for an OEM to pay for it. They will say "the end-user can pay for it if they want it"... Meanwhile the competition builds a large(r) market share. Not to mention has more steady cash revenues (i.e. Both of which mean they can spend more on development and attract even more investors).

OEM based business models make sense for many things. Particularly when it's needed to reach the end user(s) and/or help with production. But in such a product where it is meant for the end user specifically and they have the means to reach that user directly it's far less necessary and, quite possibly far more restrictive.

Last edited:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If Swype didn't make it to the market place and no one came up with a fix for the limited-time trial, there is always:

ShapeWriter Keyboard

that one sucks

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Swype didn't make it to the market place and no one came up with a fix for the limited-time trial, there is always:

ShapeWriter Keyboard

that one sucks
It's new to Android, give it some time. I don't find it all the inferior to the current Swype. It's much more developed on the iPhone and is greatly liked on that marketplace and by that community. And compared to the other alternatives its great.

WERA689

Administrator
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One+ One, Nexus 5
Ok, I'm going to step in here and ask you guys to tone it down a bit. Especially you, KZI! There's just no need for putting people down for having legitimate concerns.

Consider this a warning, ok?

LordKastle

Reaction score
KZI your accusations were part of why I had to have a follow-up post. If you go back and re-read my post, it basically was about questioning whether the concerns should even be warranted. When you respond to someone who responds to the initial topic, try not to confuse their ideas with the many other views in the thread.

The two ideas I was questioning were, 1. where did the idea come from that it was "time-limited"...and 2. where did YOU come up with the idea that since it was a "Beta" it MUST be recording all data or is that just all misinformation. [So if anybody else has any documentation on the idea that Swype will expire upon a kill-switch or date and if there are keyloggers due to it being beta, please provide it.]

The only thing besides that I mentioned was the idea that it has no business recording keystrokes.... That borders on malware and not a legitimate application.

So before you start an argument with somebody...make sure you know what the issue actually is. My posts dealt more with the idea of where are these concerns and accusations stemming from...and some of those questions correlate back to you, when you seemed to state for a fact that there is a system analyzing all keystrokes.

Last edited:

authority11

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to step in here and ask you guys to tone it down a bit. Especially you, KZI! There's just no need for putting people down for having legitimate concerns.

Consider this a warning, ok?

Bust out the ban-stick, imo.

floyd

Reaction score
Geek fight! Geek fight!

J/k. Great product. Nimble thumbs love it. They just need a proper reward for years of effort to create Swype. That is all. Thank you.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
KZI your accusations were part of why I had to have a follow-up post. If you go back and re-read my post, it basically was about questioning whether the concerns should even be warranted. When you respond to someone who responds to the initial topic, try not to confuse their ideas with the many other views in the thread.

The only thing besides that I mentioned was the idea that it has no business recording keystrokes.... That borders on malware and not a legitimate application.
After reading my original post on the subject I see that I did infer that they collected data, that was not my actual intent. I was simply trying to relate that I could understand if they did and could see why they would.

As per the ethical arguments concerning privacy, either way I'll agree to disagree if you will.

Short of living like the uni-bomber we're all accessible someway, somehow. You pay no attention to it in your daily life, why stress over your phone? Just use some common sense what you use your phone for, and you'll be fine :)

Couldn't agree more. And that was what I was going for.

Last edited: