Swype for Android is time limited

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by zerodamage, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    the good praise swype has gotten out in the wild would make a nice bargaining chip if they are trying to push swype OEM

2. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i just read their site, the guy that invented this was the co-inventor of T9. and his partner is the co-inventor or the MS on screen keyboard. seeing as T9 is basically on every phone these days, i can't see why they would be limiting themself to just 1 phone. i see this taking off like crazy soon and hopefully it will be a non-issue.

3. CDB

CDB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If Swype didn't make it to the market place and no one came up with a fix for the limited-time trial, there is always:

ShapeWriter Keyboard

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So is noone else worried that Swype can collect all information you type on the screen?

-Mike

5. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^^^ Really? I shouldn't be surprised, but some how I am...

6. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone needs to get working on a time extension. I am starting to love this method of input. I am more than willing to pay for it, but I don't want to get really use to it, only to have it taken away with no options to purchase.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right after the install completed, I got a pop-up telling me as much. I uninstalled it.

-Mike

8. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn. I didn't take it because I don't like using pirated software. I would rather support programmers that make stuff I like to encourage them to make more. As much as people were raving about this, I was starting to look forward to an officially released version.

9. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well the company stated everyone is free to use the demo, so why not?

also, why are people so suprised about it collecting data? we are using a "google experience" phone. no company takes more info than google. swype should be the last of your worries.

10. youreunderarrest

youreunderarrest Member

Ratings:
    +0
    did you know that the government can hack into your phone and collect every keystroke as well as every action you take on it?

every keyboard app is required to have a disclaimer like that to avoid any sort of legal problems, just like every app you download from the market tells you what it has access to

11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    For ****st sakes... you all are sounding like my annoying friend. YES they are collecting information. GET OVER IT... or go back to your antique phones (and I mean the rotary phones)...

It amazes me how many people think they are so important they think they have to protect themselves... don't do anything dumb and stop worrying. And the above poster was correct, GOOGLE is the leader in collecting data so if you care than you are on the WRONG phone/OS.

12. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Collecting data with purpose knowing that the versions we installed will expire? Says who our versions will expire? There are two claims that I have questions to....

Uninstalled...maybe.

Anyone who defends "collecting data" from a keyboard app is naive. A keyboard app should be exactly that, a keyboard app to change from default...not to be collecting data.

The warning given is defaulted by the Android OS when changing to any keyboard app...it does not mean our keystrokes are sync'ing in to a database for Swype. Can anyone confirm Swype actually data collecting?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
Search tags for this page

are there swype apps that don't log keystrokes

does swype for android record keystrokes

record keystrokes on razr hd

swype collects keystrokes

what kind of data does swype collect?