Swype doesn't work in Android 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by babykings, Mar 23, 2010.

1. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I had to completely uninstall and reinstall, and I had lost the e-mail they had sent me, so...

1. Go to the Swype website and log into the beta site (it's closed now, so if you were not already signed up, I'm afraid you won't be able to get in. @jramey-it sounds like you were already part of the beta, so you will just need to login to My Swype.)
    2. There is a link there to resend the beta e-mail, click that if you need to to get the link onto your Droid.
    3. Uninstall Swype application (you don't need to worry about the installer)
    4. Click the link in the Swype e-mail to download the new installer (you might be able to run the installer already on the Droid, I wanted to start completely clean, so I didn't try that).
    5. The installer will prompt you for your username and password, so enter that information and login.
    6. Swype will reinstall, and essentially, you set it up again.

It would not surprise me that this process will wipe out your dictionary, but it will get Swype running again. Also, be aware that the previously mentioned bug that results in having to switch input methods after a reboot is still existing here, but I have had no problems switching to the Android keyboard then back to Swype, and it works just fine.

Now, regarding how many downloads and installations you are allowed under the beta, I honestly don't know. Perhaps somebody else can jump in with that information.

2. jramey

jramey New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have already got the resent email and plan on a fully clean install myself.
    Thanks for the information...

3. Sherry

Sherry Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was lucky enough to still have the SWYPE installer on mine. I deleted SYWPE and hit the installer, went right to the site, logged in and I am back up and running. Y

4. bigtmonee

bigtmonee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I'm having trouble with getting swype to work on 2.1... I have tried to change input method trick and reinstalling, but I keep getting the error message, "The swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact swype about this issue."

Any help??

5. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, best I can tell you is that I had to reinstall completely. After that, I rebooted then had to do the "Change Input Method" trick and it's been fine for me ever since.

6. uflraptor

uflraptor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i had to follow these same steps to get my Swype to work again. I love Swype.

Swype working is more important to me than any of the 2.1 features.

7. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree. Live wallpaper doesn't help me be more productive or improve data entry ergonomics, but Swype certainly does!

8. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Assuming you're using the current 5652 true beta version and not the 5612 "pirated" version, do the following:

() Before doing anything else, go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Menu>All applications. (The installer app won't show up unless you do this.)

() Find the TWO swype files, i.e. both the swype keyboard AND the installer app. UNINSTALL BOTH.

() Then try reinstalling Swype. If you don't uninstall the installer, the two files can be mismatched, resulting in the condition you describe.

If this still doesn't work, use Astro or another SD card explorer and search for any file anywhere (including the root directory) with the word "swype" in the name. Delete any you find and try reinstalling.

9. MontyMo

MontyMo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In:
    Settings>Applications>Language & Keyboard Settings
    Make sure Android Keyboard is de-selected
    and Swipe is selected

10. KCOTT

KCOTT New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. KCOTT

KCOTT New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nvm...found this updated version, but now having the issue everyone else in here is having, back to reading

**okay, now it says the swype package i downloaded doesn't match the screen size of the device...i assume i downloaded the wrong one?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  12. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, can't help. I got mine through the (now closed) beta. I know there are some of these "leaked" packages floating around, but I'm not sure what the details on those are.

13. mordo

mordo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I missed this in reading this thread but what I am missing with Swype in 2.1 is a microphone icon for voice-to-text input. Is it there or not in the latest version of Swype.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Works fine for me on 2.1 and Dominator,

-Mike

15. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No voice to text input in Swype at this time. Keep in mind that Swype is neither specific to the Android platform nor does it have features specifically designed for any particular release of the Android platform.

Search tags for this page

android 2.1 swype

android doesnt swipe
android swype doesn't work
my swype dictionary doesn't work anymore
swpe mic want work on cell phone
swype doesn't work on y android phone
why does my nexus phone not swipe anymore
why won't my galaxy s3 swype call anymore
why wont my swipe wor
why wont swype work on my android