1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Swype beta on PE5-confirmed working

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by EbE404, Feb 27, 2011.

1. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

I wanted to post this as a separate thread to make it a bit easier to find.

In the main PE5 thread, I saw at least one mention of a user having problems getting Swype to work in PE5. I can confirm that I have it running and functional, although it took a little bit of effort. I am a member of the official beta, so this only related to the official .APK and installer.

The issue that I ran into was related to a licensing issue. I have never used TiBu to reinstall Swype, since it never works, so with each ROM I flash, I completely uninstall both the Swype app as well as the installer, then head over to Swype to download a new version of the installer and use that to install the app.

The installer ran fine, but something appeared to go wrong after the final licensing step. Thus, I was able to select Swype as an input method, but it would not actually "swype" and generated an error.

The steps to resolve this are pretty simple:

If you're getting "Configured for another device" errors you can also try re-running the installer WITHOUT uninstalling Swype first. This will put the installer into a repair mode which will guide you through fixing any problems it can detect.

The same thing happened to me on PE4.2, but I do not believe this is an issue with the ROM-the Swype installers and somewhat notorious for being flaky.
  2. joshoid

joshoid New Member

I also am beta member, had no issues installing / running on PE5.

Swyped from my Elite Droid!!!
  3. T-Dev

T-Dev Beta Team

are either of you able to rename the app to swype.apk and place it in the system/app folder so that it can be themed? have not been able to do this on any GB rom, worked perfectly on froyo roms.
  4. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

Haven't tried. I'm still slowly and methodically working my way through testing out the ROM to make sure all the basic functions are working. So far so good, but I still have more to do, so I probably won't get to that until next week.
  5. pistol_pete

pistol_pete New Member

This is irritating to say the least. I've been reskinning swype every time it updated for a year and now, no matter what I try, I can't get it to show up after pushing to system/app. I can't stand the look of the stock swype keyboard, but I can't type without it. Anyone have any ideas?
  6. dusttones

dusttones New Member

The Swype updated that came today fixed the issues on PE 5.0.2 Uninstall the app and redownload via the Swype installer.
  7. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Swype will stop working intermittently for me (PE 5).

It seems to forget I have set it as default keyboard.

Any ideas?

Same with Screebl even though it shows it's activated.

(btw, they are installed on phone, not SD)

Thanks
  8. rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot New Member

i've had FC issues every time i've moved swype to /system/app upon reboot so i've had to re-theme by dropping images into the apk and re-signing (inspired by GLD. thank you!).

best,
    rf
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  9. kruizin

kruizin Addicted to ROM Premium Member

I can also confirm that I've got the official beta of Swype working with 5.02 without any installation issues on D1.