Swype beta closed??

Aiesline

Reaction score
I've had my droid for about a month and have been hearing about swype... thought i'd try it... the beta is closed. Anyone know where I can get the file now?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I wouldn't ask for that here... its around so just look, however it's against the rules to ask for illegal files here...

OP
Aiesline

Aiesline

Reaction score
I was unaware it was an illegal file.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well if the beta is closed that means it's over, so asking for a swype that works would be against the rules... Not being a dick here, just read this on another thread that had the file posted.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't ask for that here... its around so just look, however it's against the rules to ask for illegal files here...

What follows is very much my understanding of the board's policy, not an authoritative comment.

The board's policy is very clear about not promoting the "sharing" of paid applications outside the Market. As someone who has developed software in the past, I applaud that.

The current Swype beta and the earlier "leaked" version of Swype are, imo, in a gray area. By downloading and using the software even outside the official beta program, users are not depriving Swype of the revenue they deserve. Nevertheless, Swype has authorized only a particular group of users to participate in their beta program and the powers that be have apparently decided that the Swype software therefore falls within the category of "pirated" apps. Frankly, I think the decision is a good one though it's somewhat difficult to enforce across the board.

If it makes the OP feel any better, the beta version of Swype is time-limited, just as the earlier "leaked" version was. Those of us who are in the beta program certainly hope that we will be able to continue to use the software (or purchase it) when the beta test is completed, but we have no guarantee that that will be the case.

And while I like Swype very much those who are interested in experimenting with the "swipe" entry method have a couple of completely legal alternatives in the Market. Both SlideIt and Shapewriter are available and some users actually prefer them to Swype.

OP
Aiesline

Aiesline

Reaction score

The board's policy is very clear about not promoting the "sharing" of paid applications outside the Market. As someone who has developed software in the past, I applaud that.

this is how I understood them... since it wasn't a paid app I didn't think it was against the rules... I'm all for paying for programs worth paying for, as my day job is a c# programmer. I like to get paid for my work and wouldn't ask other programmers to work for free. Again sorry if I unintentionally broke a rule.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

this is how I understood them... since it wasn't a paid app I didn't think it was against the rules... I'm all for paying for programs worth paying for, as my day job is a c# programmer. I like to get paid for my work and wouldn't ask other programmers to work for free. Again sorry if I unintentionally broke a rule.

I don't think anyone assumed you were intentionally violating the rules. The decision about Swype is apparently a recent one. Until a few days ago, the board had a number of threads devoted to downloading the software outside the beta program. The mods have apparently decided to "tighten" the rules a bit. I suspect they'll have to deal with a number of other "gray" category apps like Swype. They have my sympathy.