swype beta and smoked glass 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Adamz' started by jbg25, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So trying to install Swype Beta was a mistake. I figured if there was a problem...I could just revert to a previous nandroid.

But NOOOOO

They have done something to hid a bug somewhere. Whenever I reboot..I get a pop up telling me to upgrade my trail version. So I tried and it would not install. I figured that was because the trial was in the rom and so is in the sys. So I tried pulling from sys. Then reinstalling the Beta. No good...did not work. Uninstalled...and tried pushing to the sys...no good.

I completely uninstalled the installer and the program. Did a system format and wipe...reverted to my virgin nandroid...reloaded smokedglass 5.0.1 update...and rebooted.

Message pops up again.

WTF!!!!

How do I get rid of this crap?

2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    There are multiple threads going on about your problems. here's one http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/27654-swype-android-beta-6.html read

i saw a nice tutorial written by Bastosero (kudos to him/her) and copied and pasted for you. if this doesn't help you then you're going to just have to read thru the whole post. there are lots of ppl with your problem and quite a few different solutions.

Steps To Install Swype Beta For SmokedGlass ROM Users:

1. You will need Root Explorer and Astro

2. Go to the phone menu and go to Applications

3. Next, go to Manage applications and click the menu button on the phone

4. Choose Filter and then choose All

5. Uninstall everything in there that has Swype (even the beta installer for those that installed it already and didn't work)

6. After uninstalling Swype, open Astro

7. Click on Search for Astro and type the word "Swype" (without the parenthesis) in the search box

8. Next, click on the Show Advanced Options below the box

9. Click on the drop-down arrow to change which directory in which it will search

10. Choose "/" instead of the current "/sdcard/"

11. Put a check mark on the boxes "Include directory names" and "Search sub directories"

12. Now click on the magnifying glass icon to search

13. After a couple of seconds it will list all the directories where it has Swype files (remember all of those since you would want to delete all of those files)

14. Now, open Root Explorer (I suggest Root Explorer because you can mount and unmount from there) and go to each directory that lists all the Swype files that you need to delete (the ones you found from Astro)

15. After you have deleted everything, reboot your Droid

16. Once rebooted, open your browser and go to your e-mail that you used to sign up for the beta (I just used the stock browser)

17. Click on the link to download the Swype-Installer.apk and install it

18. After it says it's done installing, on the bottom choose Open

19. After opening it, it will prompt you to enter the e-mail and password you chose when you signed up for the beta, so sign in

20. After signing in, it should automatically download the Swype.apk file and install it also

21. After installing that, Enable it so you can use Swype, but reboot first just to make sure no other problems occur after it's done installing

3. mudpro69

mudpro69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hrm... the fact you did a full wipe points to something in (or missing from) the ROM. Have you tried it on another ROM (I'm use BB and the new beta is working great and there were no install issues). But a few people on various ROMs have had problems. Might be some app conflicts or something.

5. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Corina! That did it :)

6. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    spoke too soon.

apparantly I am not using an android phone...time to reflash the ROM and just use the trial

7. skirt

skirt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    works good now thanks

8. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    weird...now it is good

well all is well that ends well

thanks again

9. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Works until the reboot... then wrong hardware

This works great... but after a reboot it says it's not made for my model of hardware and will be limited in features.. and then just works as a simple keyboard.

Ehud
    Tucson AZ

10. bastosero

bastosero Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Do a long press on a blank message or e-mail and when the Input box pops up choose Android keyboard. Then, long press again and when the Input box pops up choose the Swype keyboard now.

11. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope

Still can't do words. "h..i..." causes a line... but then beeps, and does not enter any words. Same for "h..e..l...o" or "t...e...s..t"

12. bastosero

bastosero Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Try to reboot and then do the Input switches again.