Swype Android Beta!!

frankieg22x

Reaction score
someone posted up the apk in another thread. try to search for it and see if that works better then the beta from the website.

the5rivers

Reaction score
I dunno if this has been answered before, couldnt find anything in search, but does using the swype keyboard use up more battery than stock android? Thanks in advance to those reply!

namman770

Reaction score
seems I am having the same issues as everyone else.

need to upgrade. reconfigured for another device.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Another thread mentions there is a new beta, installer and apk. Delete all instances of swype, back to the email, grab it again. I did so and now it works upon reboot and all the time. It says I'm on version 5652 now. Not sure what the previous one was.

funken

Reaction score
I swear this thread is going in circles. You guys do know you can search within a thread, correct?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gotta admit, I'm pretty darn fast with the stock keyboard and didn't wanna deal with the learning curve when I first tried the unofficial version....This time, I went through the tutorial. I'm now using the hell out of it today and getting faster. Definitely seems like it could be QUITE useful in portrait when I get used to it. K

Kinda think I'd like it if it automatically disabled in landscape though...It's SO hard to fight using both thumbs and it's a long way from one side to the other with my thumb...and I've got LONG hands...I'll keep trying. Told myself since it's an official beta now that I'd give it a REAL effort.

I like just tapping out my words in landscape though. I can rock pretty fast with both thumbs...We'll see...I think I'll definitely keep it for portrait, but not sure I want to have to change input method every time I decide to type in landscape...

soops

Reaction score
previous swype version still works

I must be the only one here, but my previous swype version installed a month ago or so still working fine. I don't know if its the "leaked" version or what not, but have seen no expiration notification.

kaboyd

Reaction score
I must be the only one here, but my previous swype version installed a month ago or so still working fine. I don't know if its the "leaked" version or what not, but have seen no expiration notification.

My GF just had the leaked version expire this morning. She rebooted her phone for the first time since last week and when it turned back on, the old version quit working. That may be your case also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have found that with the beta in landscape I just type, I don't swype, and it works great for me now. No switching between input methods anymore. I now find myself preferring portrait whereas the stock input method I preferred landscape.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just rebooted earlier, and it told me my device wasn't supported though I'd been using it almost all morning. Another reboot and it's working fine now...

amajamar

Reaction score
I have found that with the beta in landscape I just type, I don't swype, and it works great for me now. No switching between input methods anymore. I now find myself preferring portrait whereas the stock input method I preferred landscape.

I have found that, in landscape mode, I can hold the phone in my left hand and swype with my right finger. I think its faster than using two thumbs. Unless you're spelling the word "quickly", I can't get it to swype that word at all! Lol!

Last edited:

D3C4F

Reaction score
Wow it's a lot nicer than the version I had prior. Very happy.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just experienced my first problem with the beta version of Swype after running it for two days. After turning my phone off and on multiple times in the context of installing other software ("Protector") I received a message on bootup that the "English Language Dictionary could not be loaded" (or something close to that.) Swype would not function.

Anyone else experience a similar error?

P.S. I suspect the problem may have been associated with the other app I was installing. It provides password protection for apps and files and may have prevented Swype from accessing the SDcard. However, even after uninstalling the "Protector" app I was still dead in the water.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Swype and other than losing the custom dictionary entries I had painstakingly entered, all seems ok.

J. Dub

Reaction score
Everyone with a "wrong version" problem.

The problem is a version problem.

Go here to fix.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...droid-wrong-version-problems-solved-here.html

Thanks!

Didn't fix. And I'm unrooted using 2.0.1 w/ no ghosting
I've tried both 5652 and 5612 versions of swype... Neither work. Even after hard and soft reboot.:icon_eek:

And yes all versions of previous swype have been removed. I've contacted swype about the issue. I'll post back my findings.