Swype and rooted

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by siggy_freud, Sep 13, 2010.

1. siggy_freud

siggy_freud New Member

I rooted to 2.2 about a month before the official update started rolling out. First off, it hasn't asked me to update OTA like I thought it would.

Secondly, the Swype beta for 2.2 doesn't seem to work with this ROM. Anyone had any luck? I got it installed, but it said it couldn't register correctly. It works if I punch the actual keys, but the swyping feature doesn't work at all. It said "this version isn't intended for this device and some functions may be limited". Hmmmm.

If not, I'll be looking at going back to stock. If that is the case, can anyone recommend a good tutorial on going 100% back to stock?

Thanks all!
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

SPRecovery blocks OTAs from installing, and some (most?) ROMs will block even the notifications of OTAs.

Swype, not sure, haven't used the beta, but there's other keyboards out there like SlideIt that are very similar (SlideIt is paid but also has a free trial).

For unrooting back to stock, here's a great set of instructions from Christim: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

You'd really go back to stock just to use swype? It is still in beta right? Maybe it's something that'll get fixed with the next swype update?
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

There has been a New Swype Beta Release in the previous week, all pre-existing versions are unable to be registered, meaning they will not Swype, if you are a Beta tester they should have emailed you a new install package

Chances are this has nothing to do with being Rooted or your ROM
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You say "this ROM" - which ROM is that?

I'm running CyanogenMod 6, and I had the same problem with Swype when I updated it. I was able to resolve it, though, and get Swype working fine again. It required some magical combination of installing it, clearing data, removing it, rebooting, and reinstalling it to get it to work. My guess is that the beta install mechanism doesn't handle updates very well, so you need to clear out anything swype related (force stop, clear data, uninstall apps, reboot) before updating it.
  5. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Swype can be tricky and you have to be careful and make sure you remove everything. In a new cases, I've had to reboot between removing and reinstalling. The forums at Swype have a detailed process recommended by the beta manager that may be of use to some.
Search tags for this page
swype for rooted phone

swype on rooted phone