Swype and Google voice type

cjriddle22

Reaction score
So I installed the Swype apk that was released for the Nexus. My only gripe is that when you press the mic to activate the Google voice type, it opens the old android way of speech to text. The new one works on the fly and is is very accurate. The one that Swype opens is the one that when you say something, then it is 'working' appears and it puts it on the screen.

Anyone know how to make Swype open the new voice type?

honors21

Reaction score
If you use the mic on the Google search bar it will open the new one since this is not the Official release I don't think you can.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

mrvogt

Reaction score
Same gripe here. But i noticed that any text box input focus gives a keyboard icon in the notification bar. Pull it down and you can select the Google voice input option. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Briankbl

Reaction score
The latest version of Swype has Dragon Dictation for its text to speech. Far superior to any other tts method.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Same gripe here. But i noticed that any text box input focus gives a keyboard icon in the notification bar. Pull it down and you can select the Google voice input option. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

+1

Best workaround yet.

lordloki

Reaction score
The latest version of Swype has Dragon Dictation for its text to speech. Far superior to any other tts method.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sorry to revive an old thread.

that would be great if it were true that Dragon is better. but with the NEW google voice typing keeping up with you, it is FAR superior to many minds (including my own).

Any way to hack together a fix for this?

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
sorry to revive an old thread.

that would be great if it were true that Dragon is better. but with the NEW google voice typing keeping up with you, it is FAR superior to many minds (including my own).

Any way to hack together a fix for this?

The keyboard icon appears in the notification bar. And you can switch to google voice typing. That is the best work around yet. Now that Swype is officially out, maybe someone will hack it to use google voice typing.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really like Swype aside from the dragon dictation and the language button on the keyboard. I wonder if it's possible to pull the keyboard and map the language button to something different and get it to use google tts.

wolstonc

Reaction score
My gripe is that if you aren't Swyping and type til fast, it takes it as Swyping and messes up. Also the dictionary isn't as good as ics's