1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Switching/Updating Roms

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by eagle132, Feb 24, 2010.

1. eagle132

eagle132 New Member

I've looked around for a bit, and although I've seen about 20 guides on how to install a custom ROM over stock, I really havent seen anything about then updating that rom (for instance, Bugless Beast is updated pretty much every other day with a whole new ROM to download) or switching to a completely different rom while keeping your settings intact.

So, is there any special way to switch/update without messing up your phone or losing apps and settings?

Also: When I rooted and installed Bugless Beast v1.0 instead of stock, although by following the guild I was able to keep all my settings and apps, my home screens were blank and I had to rearrange all my shortcuts and widgets. Will this happen every time I update or switch roms?

Thanks!
  2. eagle132

eagle132 New Member

Any advice? I'm sure it's a simple solution, I just don't want to do anything yet in case I somehow mess up my phone or lose settings!

Thanks
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

It's easy to update/change roms. I've mostly stuck with Pete's Bugless Beast roms. You can go to his page: AllDroid - View topic - [ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.1 (2/22/10) STABLE

And there are all his roms under the Previous Roms link. You can use his Update.zip files and instructions to install the new rom. If you use this method it will not disrupt your data and settings. Your desktop will not change.

My answer is probably specific to Pete's roms. I've just not tried others since the first day I rooted. I did a Sholes rom then, but went to Pete's BB almost immediately.

Good luck.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

I used Petes exclusively for about a week during the 7.4 to 7.9 timeline. I switched up to Adamz's now. Not because I thought SG would be better, just to try out someone elses.

When I go from one guys ROM to another, I do a complete wipe. While moving around inside SG or BB, I don't do a wipe.

-Mike
  5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+ what BayouFF said.

FYI anytime you are going to a ROM with the same base build (i.e. 2.0.1 OR 2.1) you can use the .update method and not loose your data. Switching between the two however is generally best done via the nanodroid method. Data loss is no big deal though... d/l Astro and/or Titanium Backup and you can restore all your data within minutes.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Minutes? You must have a slow Droid. Did you do the UNDERclocking mod? :D

Just poking fun, that's all. It's been a long day at work.

-Mike
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Lol, well I built in learning time for the OP seeing that he wouldn't know what to do quickly:). Mine normally takes 'minutes' because I'm normally doing a few other things (like posting:icon_ banana:) and let it go for a while w/o attention.

I normally run between 800-1G depending on how the kernel(s) are behaving on/with the ROM.