switching unblocked G3 from Verizon to T-Mobile?

Montavius

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 2 Global
I have an LG G3 - unblocked, purchased last summer - currently on Verizon month-to-month. Can I switch to T-Mobile? The phone would not read the T-mobile SIM card at their store. I get that. It's because of the VZW software on it now, right? So, would I have to reset the phone to the factory software? I'm not sure I want to go through all that, then re-install all the apps. Just considering my options. Thanks.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've never owned the phone but check settings under mobile networks and make sure LTE/GSM/UMTS is selected ...if you find that reboot and see if sim is recognized ...you may also need to find APN settings for T-Mobile to get text working ...that be step two of one is successful ...

6s Plus

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did they input their network credentials under network settings?
When I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile with a Note2 they had to input some stuff, that took about 3 minutes for the rep to do, before it'd read the T-Mobile SIM card. Now it works fine on their 3g and gsm networks.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
M

Montavius

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Thank you both. Changing the network mode to GSM did the trick. I also found, and will show the rep, where the APN info is for them to set that as well. Probably tomorrow will be switch day. Is there anything you advise before I sign on the dotted line (month-to-month contract, really).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. Changing the network mode to GSM did the trick. I also found, and will show the rep, where the APN info is for them to set that as well. Probably tomorrow will be switch day. Is there anything you advise before I sign on the dotted line (month-to-month contract, really).
Your building penetration will be less with T-Mobile in basements and deep into auditoriums and such. If you've got excellent signal in those areas now it'll be weaker but very usable. If you've got weak now in those areas it'll be useless in some of them. You might find some dead spots in the boonies with T-Mobile as well, depending on what area of the country you are in. I'd say pick out some zip codes of areas you might go to and get them to check on their map. Their coverage map is much better than Verizon's as far as telling what's really good and what's not. Before I switched I got them to check some areas in western Virginia just to see reality.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><