switching unblocked G3 from Verizon to T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'LG G3' started by Montavius, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Montavius

Montavius New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    I have an LG G3 - unblocked, purchased last summer - currently on Verizon month-to-month. Can I switch to T-Mobile? The phone would not read the T-mobile SIM card at their store. I get that. It's because of the VZW software on it now, right? So, would I have to reset the phone to the factory software? I'm not sure I want to go through all that, then re-install all the apps. Just considering my options. Thanks.

2. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,308
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I've never owned the phone but check settings under mobile networks and make sure LTE/GSM/UMTS is selected ...if you find that reboot and see if sim is recognized ...you may also need to find APN settings for T-Mobile to get text working ...that be step two of one is successful ...

6s Plus

• Like Like x 1
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Did they input their network credentials under network settings?
    When I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile with a Note2 they had to input some stuff, that took about 3 minutes for the rep to do, before it'd read the T-Mobile SIM card. Now it works fine on their 3g and gsm networks.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  4. Montavius

Montavius New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Thank you both. Changing the network mode to GSM did the trick. I also found, and will show the rep, where the APN info is for them to set that as well. Probably tomorrow will be switch day. Is there anything you advise before I sign on the dotted line (month-to-month contract, really).

5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Your building penetration will be less with T-Mobile in basements and deep into auditoriums and such. If you've got excellent signal in those areas now it'll be weaker but very usable. If you've got weak now in those areas it'll be useless in some of them. You might find some dead spots in the boonies with T-Mobile as well, depending on what area of the country you are in. I'd say pick out some zip codes of areas you might go to and get them to check on their map. Their coverage map is much better than Verizon's as far as telling what's really good and what's not. Before I switched I got them to check some areas in western Virginia just to see reality.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><