Switching to Stock Android SMS App

ray985

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how to switch to the stock android SMS app? Coming from a OG Droid, Motorola's text messaging app is killing me and I don't really care for Handscent. I just want to use the standard Android app. I tried taking the APK from a Cyanogen build and installing it on the phone (which worked fine for the stock Android 3-D Gallery), but when I do it for the Messaging app, I receive every text twice.

idefiler6

Reaction score
Are you getting the texts twice? Or are you just getting two notifications? You could probably turn something off with the Moto app.

OP
R

ray985

Reaction score
It's odd, I only get the notification once (just from the stock Android app) but in the app, the actual text appears twice.

idefiler6

Reaction score
I really don't know sorry, I think the only cure is to wait for a ROM to edge out blur on this thing.

wseyller

Reaction score
The moto messaging app is still running. You have to open it up and disable the notifications

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Spydaz

Reaction score
The moto messaging app is still running. You have to open it up and disable the notifications

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

+1...

Intalled stock Gingerbread Messaging apk and had to freeze the Moto Messaging app for everything to work normal. You need to be rooted and have titanium back up installed, go to the moto messaging app and "Freeze" do not delete, just freeze.

kenvp

Reaction score
What does freeze mean? And what does it do?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
+1...

Intalled stock Gingerbread Messaging apk and had to freeze the Moto Messaging app for everything to work normal. You need to be rooted and have titanium back up installed, go to the moto messaging app and "Freeze" do not delete, just freeze.

Have someone send you a pic text to make sure everything works ok. When I froze the stock messaging, I couldnt get pics from anyone.