SWITCHING to different ROMs...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Silastic Armorfiend, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Silastic Armorfiend

Silastic Armorfiend New Member

Right now, I am running Bugless. I did this by rooting, and backing up my own original image.

Let's say I want to try Cyanomod (sp?).

Is the process to do this:

Step 1: get the Cyanomod image.
    2, put that image on my SD card
    3, boot into SPRecovery
    4, Choose wipe data/factory reset
    5, Choose backup/restore
    6, pick the new image I want

Right?

Also, what's the difference between "Images" and "Android ROMs"? Android roms has its own subforum, but it doesn't contain anything about Cyanomod. This is the only reason that I think there is any difference between image and ROM.
  2. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

easier way go to market download rom manager reback up your BB so it works with clockwork then hit download roms and youll have a pretty list of selections including cyanogen bb ud and a few others :)
  3. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Note you only have the extra downloads if you get the premium version.
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

We all do things differently and have different levels of comfort with automated processes. For me, I prefer to follow the manual process you mentioned in the OP.

Mike
  5. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

the main reason i threw out the rom manager thing was due to the fact that Cyanogen from the requires clockwork but ive heard of people posting nandroids of it so that you dont have to install clockwork

i prefer doing it my self though as well
  6. Silastic Armorfiend

Silastic Armorfiend New Member

Thank you for the advice. Will my way work? Is my way a correct way to do it, or do I run the risk of bricking my droid doing it my way?

I am still a little confused. I THINK I am making this whole process harder than it is. But, the question still stands: What's the difference between "Images" and "Android ROMs"? Android roms has its own subforum, but it doesn't contain anything about Cyanomod. This is the only reason that I think there is any difference between image and ROM.
  7. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Images and Roms are the same thing they are all just archives of some fashion of the disc contents Disk image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they might have to be applied to the droid in differnt ways though Cyanogen unless you get the nandroid of it will require you to load it through Clockwork recovery

as far as your way goes from what i can tell since your asking about image vs rom is you have the Clockwork for Cyanogen and not the a third party nandroid of it so you will need to flash your recovery with Clockwork Recovery which can be done through rom manager
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

When you see an image referenced on this site, they are almost always referring to the recovery image, which is a file that is a recovery partition. We use flash_image to copy the contents to the recovery partition.

When you see ROM referenced here, its referring to the system, and boot partitions, which contain the OS and the kernel, respectively.
Search tags for this page

cyanomod

cyanomod image sd card image downloads
cyanomod wikipedia