Switching to a different Droid...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrdorunjr, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My droid is power cycling atleast twice a day just sitting in my pocket, i have it clocked at 800mhz and min of 125mhz, i used to be able to clock it higher but it would power cycle more often at higher mhz. now my dad has a droid that was never rooted, its still on 2.1 too. could i just take his phone, root it, then once activated take the stored backedup image of my current phone and load it on there and have everythign the same? would i have any MAJOR issues in terms of my apps accounts and settings?

would the kernals be installed or would i have to do that again too?

basically is it worth switching to a different droid? (i know im not garunteed itll be able to be clocked at 1ghz or 900mhz either but still better show than mine..)

2. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    buump?:icon_eek:

3. litso

litso Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about installing a backup on another phone, but there are additional steps you could take to resolve the issues with your current phone. For instance it is known that a 125MHz min clock can cause issues with some devices. Try running a higher min voltage kernel. Also if you are running a low voltage kernel, try a standard voltage kernel. The chips in some devices can't handle the lower voltages.

Also it could be related to a custom ROM if youbare running one. Before you go swapping out devices why don't you try going back to a stock Android build, or a stable ROM like Sapphire.

4. dbst

dbst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does it reboot when you are using it? You could try using custom profiles in SetCPU, like set it to a max of 600mhz when the screen is off

5. Mikosh

Mikosh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As with everyone else I will definitely support the fact that you should try flashing a, say 250mhz to 600mhz first and see how that works out. If it's still shutting off on you, I wouldn't bother with your dad's droid. I would just get the stock frg22d image from google (it's around here somewhere) and just run with that. You will lose all your data within apps and etc, but all the important stuff is synced with google. Then your phone would be as if it just came from verizon (yes you would also have to reroot and reflash a kernel, but its nothing you can't do again). If it's still messing up after that, I would assume its a battery issue?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App