Switching Roms help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by STIDRIVER, May 16, 2010.

1. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Hey... Experimenting with different Roms right now to see which one I like best... I started with Sholes/DM... Then recently downloaded Rom Manager and installed Cyan/Jrummy's newest (which was really nice looking.. but lagged on my phone), then used Rom Mgr to install BB1.0 with smoked glass. I just installed BB over the Jrummy with no issues. BB is pretty awesome, blazing fast, but kinda plain looking. Wanted to try some of the other Roms on Rom Mgr. Tried UD and RedRum and they both gave me errors when trying to install... I don't get past the 1st portion, it doesn't even start to load.
    I believe its due to me just trying to write Rom after Rom on top of each other. I don't know if I just got lucky going from DM->Jrumm->BB... I wiped data/cache only once (between DM and Jrumm). The question is.. Do I need to use Rom Mgr and revert to stock or something to try something else? Or do you think the last few attempts failed because I didn't wipe data?
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I'm not positive what is causing your problem. For me, anytime I install a new rom, I wipe data and cache. You should not need to revert back to a previous rom before installing a new one. I believe Rom Manager will ask you if you want to create a new backup and wipe prior to downloading. I would do both.

Are your connected via wifi? The 3G will take longer and perhaps you had a interruption. How far (what %) did you get with WD and Red Rum?

Mike
  3. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

The actual roms DL no problem.. its installing them where I don't get past the 1st step.. it reboots into recovery, then gets an error something to the effect of "file not found on SD card"... I'd have to try again to get the exact error... I'm using 3G in a poor area, but I'm past the DL part so I don't know why it would matter. I haven't been doing the backup/wipe cause its a pain to re-install all my apps.. But if thats the issue I'll have to deal...
  4. mwhartman

In view of the error "file not on SD card" I'm thinking that the download was corrupt to not successful. Are you taping the install from SD card? If so, perhaps you should use your computer to download the file, mount your phone then move the file to the SD card.

When the download completes, what are your doing to install it? I thought once the file downloaded you slide down the notification bar and tap the file which activates Rom manger and it does the install.
  5. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Yes, just pulling the download down it notification bar and installing... They all say DL complete....
  6. mwhartman

Let me know how you make out.
  7. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Downloading DARK SE gold right now... we'll see how it goes. BB doesn't use Cyanogen as a base does it? Could it be BB overwrote Cyanogen... then when I try to push other CM based Roms it fails?
  8. mwhartman

No, BB is a separate install and should overwrite Cyanogen. Were you trying to install a theme and not a rom? If so, make sure that the theme is compatible with the rom you have installed.
  9. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Well.. I think thats what the problem is. Like I said, I used rom mgr to install Jrummy/CM... then I used rom mgr to install BBv1.0, which is my current rom. If BB wiped out CM, then I'm guessing thats why the other ones are failing. And, yes, they have all been Roms, not themes.... How do I get back to CM? (while removing BB?)
  10. mwhartman

If you want to go back to Jrummy open RM, tap download rom tap JRummy and when it downloads tap the download. Do a backup and WIPE. Let RM do it's thing. Once you reboot, tap menu, tap settings, tap about phone, scroll down to Mod Version. That will tell you what rom you have installed. Once you get Jrummy installed go back to RM and tap download rom and pick a theme that is compatible from Jrummy
  11. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Well.. I want to try Dark Edge.. or UD new era... But I have a feeling even trying to go back to Jrummy would fail. I was more asking on how to get back to base CM. I haven't tried with backup and wipe... so I guess thats the next step...
  12. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I highly recommend doing a wipe (some say 2x) before installing a different ROM. I know it takes time to set up everything but it prevents the FC issues. I installed Redrum on Friday night, and prior to that was using the New Era ROM. I also installed Redrum from the ROM Manager. Again, wipe, wipe, wipe!

I can also tell you gbill11 ported over the DE theme to Redrum FLAWLESSLY for Gold, Red and Blue. I've used all three of them without issue. I recommend you wipe, install the Chaos Redrum Naked, then install the DE themes from the Team Chaos ROM site on DF.
  13. mwhartman

Sorry I misunderstood. If you want to install Cyanogen, follow the steps but select Cyanogen instead of Jrummy. Currently, Koush has several versions of Cyanogen available via RM. Remember to backup and wipe.

Mike
  14. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

I don't necessarelly want Cyanogen, I want to try Dark Edge or UD new era.... Are those two based on CM? Thats why I asked... I figured I needed to have CM as a base before trying those two.. and maybe thats why they are failing... I think I'm doing the process correctly... tapping the Rom I want.. let it DL... drop it down in the notification bar and tap... The only thing I'm not doing is backing up/wiping... So, maybe thats the problem....
  15. mwhartman

It really does not matter if one rom is based on another. If you want to to install the Dark Edge theme then you need a rom installed first. I'm not familiar with Darkedge so make sure it is compatible with the rom you install. Here is a link Issue 301 - android-wifi-tether - kernel does not have all features? - Project Hosting on Google Code with a video that steps you through installing the dark edge theme. If you want to install the UD rom then use RM to download, tap to install backup and wipe. that should do it
  16. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I chose to try out Dark Edge using the Redrum Chaos because they ported it over very nicely and easy to install. My suggestion would be to try Redrum to see D.E. - make sure you do a complete wipe (or two).
  17. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

^^^ Sounds like a plan... Gonna try tomorrow... RedRum + DE... Hopefully the not wiping was the problem....
  18. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

ok... got started trying to load Redrum w/ DE this morning... Rom Manager is giving me an error "AN ERROR OCCURED TRYING TO RUN PRIVILIGED COMMANDS". I can hit ok and get in... I try to DL Redrum, it gives me the option to wipe/backup, I hit ok.. then it tells me it needs to reboot to install, I say ok... it sits there for second with ok highlighted, then just goes back to the Rom Manager page... nothing happens. I tried unistalling/reinstalling Rom Mgr, reflashing clockwork recovery and even an older version of clockwork recovery... Its still comes back to this priviliged error... any ideas??????????
  19. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

There's a few roms out there that accidently loose the su binary. You have been flashing them like crazy and at one point said you have been skipping the backup/wipe. The wipe part, I understand your resoning, but ALWAYS do a backup. If you do have a working backup, then you'll have to restore to that. You might have to enter CMRecovery manually, though.

good luck
  20. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Do you think thats causing my Rom Manager error? How do you go about doing a CM recovery manually? Because I can't use RM to do it...Basically RM is borked for me, it won't do anything... I'm still on BB and its running great, so there is no real urgency, other than my need to play with new Roms :) ... and I will heed your advice "allways do a backup"...