Switching phones 4G activation question Verizon

jamjr74

Reaction score
I am buying a new nexus today and am using a 4g device now. If I put my sim in the nexus will it be activated or do I have to do something else?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Depends on which phone you currently have. The GN uses a micro-sim. If your current device uses a regular sim you need to cut it down to make it work. If you already have a micro-sim just pop it in and enjoy. Just remember that if your sim card is out of the phone for more than 24 hours it will be deactivated.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Reaction score
I currently have a Razr on a family share plan. I used my wife's upgrade to get the Maxx, and I plan to activate it on my line, and give her my Razr. A vzw rep told me I have to activate the new phone on her line first, then switch it over. Is this true? I was hoping I could pull the sim card out of my phone, put it in the Maxx, and activate it on my line. Then, when I'm all set with the Razr, put the new sim card in the Razr, and activate it on her line.

Does anyone know what the real deal is?

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Depends on which phone you currently have. The GN uses a micro-sim. If your current device uses a regular sim you need to cut it down to make it work. If you already have a micro-sim just pop it in and enjoy. Just remember that if your sim card is out of the phone for more than 24 hours it will be deactivated.

I am using a RAZR maxx which I believe is also a micro sim so hopefully ill be all set.

BAMA74

Reaction score
I am buying a new nexus today and am using a 4g device now. If I put my sim in the nexus will it be activated or do I have to do something else?

If I'm not mistaking when you get the new 4G nexus it'll come with its own sim card.

sent from my HTC Rezound

BAMA74

Reaction score
I currently have a Razr on a family share plan. I used my wife's upgrade to get the Maxx, and I plan to activate it on my line, and give her my Razr. A vzw rep told me I have to activate the new phone on her line first, then switch it over. Is this true? I was hoping I could pull the sim card out of my phone, put it in the Maxx, and activate it on my line. Then, when I'm all set with the Razr, put the new sim card in the Razr, and activate it on her line.

Does anyone know what the real deal is?

FYI....I don't know if you ordered online but I always order online for my upgrades and the option is on their to move the upgrade to another one of your lines of your choice and you wouldn't have to go through that trouble;)

sent from my HTC Rezound

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Your new phone will come with a new SIM card. But you can use your old SIM. It is SIM cards that are activated now. The SIM is what is associated with you and your number. Not the phone. I had a micro SIM that I used to swap between a G'Nex and a Bionic (with an adapter) all the time.

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Yeah just putting the sim in the new phone worked perfect. Inserted the sim and powered on. All set and no having to call Verizon.

SiGfever

Reaction score
Your new phone will come with a new SIM card. But you can use your old SIM. It is SIM cards that are activated now. The SIM is what is associated with you and your number. Not the phone. I had a micro SIM that I used to swap between a G'Nex and a Bionic (with an adapter) all the time.
So you can have two phones and swap the sim card to use a different phone on different days?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, you can. Handle the sim card carefully. The only problem might be switching from a phone that uses a full size sim to a phone that uses a mini sim, but there are sim cutting tools and adapters for specifically that purpose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums