Switching out factory apps for others as the default app?

dooop

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct area to post this, i am running squidly 2.3.20.1 so thought it might be, anyway

If someone wouldnt mind helping me out i basicly wanna know how to switch out a factory app for another app as the default app for the os

Or how i might go about changing the calander that the retro clock date widget opens (it currently opens the google calander i believe)

Hope that makes sense im horribly new to this and mostly dont know what im talking about

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
D

dooop

Reaction score
Lol bang my head against a wall time

pkbest

Reaction score
Lol bang my head against a wall time

lol really? uh.. well i know you can do this with like handcent sms.. you just check the box in staus bar when u go to read a text to set as default but i would like to know how to change out defaults on all apps too. seems like there would be an app out there to do it for you ? you know, like an application UI so you dont have to do something like that in terminal or something.

OP
D

dooop

Reaction score
Do i detect alittle bit of sarcasm there?
I guess its dumb to ask and i should go read some Unix/Linux basics before asking how to do things
UI for switching out default apps would be pretty niffty but its not atall what I'm looking for.
And handcents is a messaging app not a calendar as far as i know

Meh

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
No question is a dumb one and I didn't detect any sarcasm - if anything the user had the same concerns as you

...as for the question - when you have a factory and third party app of the same caliber and select one of them do you not get a "pop-up" asking if you would like to make it the default ?

then to clear defaults go into settings/applications/manage applications/choose application/clear defaults

squidlymandingo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If the app you want is on the market just install it to data which is what it does anyway.

pkbest

Reaction score
No question is a dumb one and I didn't detect any sarcasm - if anything the user had the same concerns as you

...as for the question - when you have a factory and third party app of the same caliber and select one of them do you not get a "pop-up" asking if you would like to make it the default ?

then to clear defaults go into settings/applications/manage applications/choose application/clear defaults

thanks tp,

I did not use any sarcasm. When I use sarcasm, I am MUCH more blunt about it. I wasn't answering the question about calendar. You asked before that about switching default apps and I was giving an example.
I'll keep watch of this thread. I'm trying to find a good default calendar for google calendar.. so I can enter event entries easily.

OP
D

dooop

Reaction score
Okay sorry pk, i didnt mean to be an ass and i think i misunderstood... i need sleep lol trying to go from zero knowledge to altering functionality isent realistic and ive been staring at scripts, basics guides and terminal for about 8 hours strait. before my head hits the pillow i should probably better explain my issue so i can hopefully get some responses for when i wake

Retro clock is just a widget app, however the widgets bring up the alarm clock/calendar when clicked. what i want to do is get the calendar that pops up when i click the widget to be one of my choosing, theres no configuration options for the widget and i dont get a default window pop to choose. Im not even sure switching the default calendar will acomplish what im trying todo or if the widget can be made compatable with calendars other then the moto one without altering the widgets programming
I do believe im in over my head... and i broke all 3 (google, moto, and touch) calendars in the process of playing around with some ideas lol but id still like to know if its possible and get it all straited out before i restore my sbf

event121

Reaction score
What you are seeking is attainable, but there are easier ways to achieve your goal.

You could re-do the widget (code) or find a different one that allows such customization (tap launches appofyourchoosing). I use Beautiful Widgets and set the Time to launch my Calendar instead of Clock.

If the target of pressing your widget is Calendar.apk - you could get the .apk of a different calendar, place the alternatecalendar.apk in \system\app, rename Calendar.apk to Calendar.pak (this is your backup), rename alternatecalendar.apk to Calendar.apk, and reboot. You may have permissions issues depending on what file explorer you use to do this with. I use Root Explorer (paid) and have done this a few times. If you have a way to look at permissions (long press > properties?), just look at the original Calendar.apk before you rename it to see how your permissions should be set for the alternate calendar you want as your default.

OP
D

dooop

Reaction score
Oh wow thats quite simple
I did try editing the widgets script by switching out the app specified in the run command but i must have done something wrong, and it broke my calendars, i cant add events now
But assuming that works ill just restore and do it the easy way this time
Thanks much

Was my approch viable if properly scripted?

event121

Reaction score
Yes but you'd have to find the code and edit it (or add it) in the widget that you are tapping.

OP
D

dooop

Reaction score
Update** simply renaming the file did not work, the commands build into squidly treated the renamed .apks as if they were the actual apps and the googlecal -ins and -rm and blurhomecal -ins and -rm commands moved the renamed .apk between /system and /stock installing and uninstalling them proeperly, however once installed the googlecal.apk (actually the touchcalendar.apk, renamed) is recognized by the os as touchcalendar

OP
D

dooop

Reaction score
Oh and yea when i tried rescripting the widget, i edited the classes.dex

Taegost

Reaction score
What you are seeking is attainable, but there are easier ways to achieve your goal.

You could re-do the widget (code) or find a different one that allows such customization (tap launches appofyourchoosing). I use Beautiful Widgets and set the Time to launch my Calendar instead of Clock.

If the target of pressing your widget is Calendar.apk - you could get the .apk of a different calendar, place the alternatecalendar.apk in \system\app, rename Calendar.apk to Calendar.pak (this is your backup), rename alternatecalendar.apk to Calendar.apk, and reboot. You may have permissions issues depending on what file explorer you use to do this with. I use Root Explorer (paid) and have done this a few times. If you have a way to look at permissions (long press > properties?), just look at the original Calendar.apk before you rename it to see how your permissions should be set for the alternate calendar you want as your default.

... That's the easy way?
The easiest way is to just find a calendar app on the market, install it, and the first time you go to open the calendar from another app (Like a widget), it'll ask you what app you want to run, you check the "Make default" box, and click the app... You can't get much simpler then that...

event121

Reaction score

... That's the easy way?
The easiest way is to just find a calendar app on the market, install it, and the first time you go to open the calendar from another app (Like a widget), it'll ask you what app you want to run, you check the "Make default" box, and click the app... You can't get much simpler then that...

well.. yeah. pk covered that already. if it pops up, select which you want to run and check the box to make it the default.

it sounds like his widget though isn't looking for a default calendar app - it's looking for calendar.apk. so you'd have to swap out the app in \system\app with another named the same or edit the code of the widget to point to a different location/app.