Switching memory cards?

boomerang

Reaction score
Hi all! Im trying to install a bigger memory card. I copied all the files with the original card, formatted my new card with FAT32, then pasted all the folders into the new card. I found though that my phone randomly freezes and I have to do a battery pull. Thank goodness I didn't wipe the original card! So what is the best way to install the new card?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

google123

Reaction score
I would copy the card contents to the computer, reformat the card using the phone and then copy the contents back to the card.

OP
B

boomerang

Reaction score
I thought of that, but the option to format the card is grayed out and I can't select it.

StoneCutter

Reaction score
The "format" option is grayed out if the card is mounted. Unmount the card first (the menu option just above format) and then the format button should work.

StingRay

Reaction score
yes, Google123's method is the way to go...

I moved over to a 16G that was previously in my Droid...worked fine by copying contents onto computer, then format card in Pro...move contents to new card in Pro....

WillDroid

Reaction score
Does this work the same for a 32gb card? I thought Id read people saying not to format the 32gb with the phone.

google123

Reaction score
I have had a 16GB card that i have moved from phone to phone for a while now and always reformat it using the phone. Never have a problem. :)

OP
B

boomerang

Reaction score
Tried all steps discussed above and the card is still freezing my phone up. Any ideas?

StingRay

Reaction score
If you have a micro sd card reader, connect it with your sd card to your computer....once your computer sees the card, open file explorer and then right click on the drive designated for your card and select "Format"...make sure you choose "Fat" for your file system and" 32 kilobytes" for allocation unit size.

You should be able to then eject the sd card, install in phone, the move your saved files over...

Hope that works...

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk