Switching Keyboards Done Differently With Honeycomb

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[FONT=&quot][video=youtube;1HKDHLNc-Ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HKDHLNc-Ro&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Changing keyboards in Android 3.0 Honeycomb[/video][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Android 2.X you’re able to switch keyboards in a few easy steps by going to the settings menu and doing the usual routine; however, the new method of switching keyboards is a little different in Android’s 3.0 Honeycomb tablet OS. While you can still switch between all the different on-screen keyboards Android offers, the magic auto switching keyboard concept (switches depending on app) that many people have been requesting is still not here. We can always hope for that in an update.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does this seem simple enough or is there another way you'd like it done.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Source: (http://www.androidcentral.com/honeycomb-allows-quick-change-screen-keyboards)

Last edited by a moderator:

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
You don't even have to go in to settings. You can just long-press in the type box and hit "Input Method" and choose one of the active keyboards from there. Much simpler than going in to settings each time. (I have the android keyboard, physical [no need to switch], 8 pen, and swype).

Ryguy085

Reaction score
is that not exactly how it is on android smart phones? I hold down in the text area, choose input method, and I can pick between swype and android keyboard.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
It is how you do it on a phone. My comment was towards the OP saying you have to go in to settings to do it; was giving an alternate and quicker route. And if that is how they are going to have it executed in Honeycomb, then I'll be completely fine with that.

Detonation

Reaction score
is that not exactly how it is on android smart phones? I hold down in the text area, choose input method, and I can pick between swype and android keyboard.

It looks like there is now a dedicated button for it. So rather than a long press on the box, you can just single press that button. Saves you a second.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me

It looks like there is now a dedicated button for it. So rather than a long press on the box, you can just single press that button. Saves you a second.

Talking about the settings button one on the right of the space bar? Cuz that goes away if you have voice search installed.