Switching from Verizon to T mobile

OP
C

Carolinatim

Reaction score
You are assuming you will get $550. for the S6. Keep in mind, Samsung announced an S6 price reduction last week. A new S6 just may sell for less than $550.

I checked the trending price on ebay just now. Either way, if the are selling for less then it will cost me less to buy the new one. What I sell it for and buy the new one for should be pretty close to the same.

OP
C

Carolinatim

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that part of the T-Mo paying off your phone is you turning your device into them and getting a T-Mo branded device...

G4'ed it!

That is correct. However, my "plan B" does not involve TMo paying my phone off but instead paying my ETF. They offer to do one or the other.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
That is correct. However, my "plan B" does not involve TMo paying my phone off but instead paying my ETF. They offer to do one or the other.
Ah, I missed your plan b ...

I made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile but was month to month. Opted to just get a phone and new line with T-Mobile as my own test drive. Then ported my # after I figured T-mo would suffice. I couldn't be happier!

Hope you get something figured out!

G4'ed it!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I did check with a friend who lives close by and coverage is good here. I stopped by a T Mobile office today and asked my questions. The answer I got was that they would pay off the phone, but I had to give them the phone they paid off. I was under the impression that I could give them ANY used phone but he said that was not the case. I could do what I had in my plan but it would not benefit me because they would get the phone in the end.

I'm pretty sure that part of the T-Mo paying off your phone is you turning your device into them and getting a T-Mo branded device...

G4'ed it!
I would double/triple check your plan because if you and YankInDaSouth are correct, you will be buying a subsidized phone on Verizon, renewing your contact with Verizon, only so you can give that brand new phone to tmo.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You should do Tmobile's 7 day test drive first. It is free and they send you a phone to test their network with. Afterwards you return the phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mean, it SOUNDS like a good plan, but I have a hard time believing that vzw is going to sell you a brand new phone at $200 and let you walk away right after that. The whole point of offering those deals WITH a contract is to get you into a contract. Sure, T-mo may pay the ETF and if they only pay the ETF, you don't have to give them the phone, but I'd take a good long look at the fine print on when you buy that phone.

Maybe I (and others here) are completely wrong, but I would think if it was as easy as your plan makes it seem it should be to get a brand new phone for next to nothing while breaking your contract, either a ton of other people would've done it by now and/or they would've put something in place to prevent it from happening.

If they sell you a phone for $200 and a 2 year contract, they make the money back and then some to equal what the full price was of that device. That's the point of their deal. I guess the ETF would just about almost cover that difference, but I'm still not convinced that it'll work the way you think it will.

If you decide to go with it, I wish you the best of luck and hope you'll share your story with us so we know in the future!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
AT&T raised their ETF fees for this very reason. People were buying phones, cancelling their contracts, and walking over to TMo with their new phones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
AT&T raised their ETF fees for this very reason. People were buying phones, cancelling their contracts, and walking over to TMo with their new phones.
And maybe vzw is a different story because they know their phones don't fully work on t-mo. Like I said, I could be wrong, but I have to think, especially with how these companies already nickel and dime us, that they've got a plan in place to beat a plan like this and make their money. However, whether YOU or t-mo have to pay the bulk of any extra hidden charges remains to be seen.

I honestly would like to see what happens here. We don't have t-mo in my area, so I couldn't do this plan if I wanted to, but I'm not convince there isn't something missing or hidden that would make it less of a good plan. Haha

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would double/triple check your plan because if you and YankInDaSouth are correct, you will be buying a subsidized phone on Verizon, renewing your contact with Verizon, only so you can give that brand new phone to tmo.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk
Yank is correct. You must turn in the Verizon device and buy a T-Mobile one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
C

Carolinatim

Reaction score
Yank is correct. You must turn in the Verizon device and buy a T-Mobile one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Only if they pay off the phone for you. If they pay the ETF instead then you keep your phone. However, I have been looking at the fine print at TMo and for them to pay the ETF you have to buy a phone from them and sign up for certain plans. You can trade in any phone though, even an old flip phone:

In order to qualify for this ETF offer, you must be switching from a postpaid plan on a contract with another carrier and port your current numbers to T-Mobile. You would need to trade-in a mobile phone or tablet and purchase a new device with T-Mobile on a qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan (you would not be able to sign up for a T-Mobile prepaid or Simple Choice Family Plan with no credit check)

OP
C

Carolinatim

Reaction score
Which means you'll have to sell the vzw phone before you can buy the tmo phone & have service...

Not sure I understand that statement. Actually I would have to keep the Verizon phone until I port the number to the new TMo phone, then I could sell the verizon phone.