switching from 4g to 3g?

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any way for me to switch from my s4's 4g lte connection to a 3g connection? My sisters iphone 5 does this so I feel my phone should do the same. Just to save data and power. Thanks in advance

wcjeep

Reaction score
I use an App called Phone Info. It's on my phone, no longer in the Play Store. There have been other apps in the past. I think Verizon squashes them. 3G Connection is CDMA(auto PRL). I use it when out in the woods when no 4G is available.

matukqo

Reaction score
Not sure if its there in the S4 (touchwiz may have changed it all up) but if you go into the settings then go into mobile network settings (under Wireless & Networks -> click on either the mobile network symbol or click more) and it should have a line that shows Network mode. This setting will allow you to change which network mode you would like to use.

May be in a different place all together, this is how I got to it on my Tbolt.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I use an App called Phone Info. It's on my phone, no longer in the Play Store. There have been other apps in the past. I think Verizon squashes them. 3G Connection is CDMA(auto PRL). I use it when out in the woods when no 4G is available.

Could u possibly send me an updated link of the apk file for the app? They have an app in tue store called phone info but idk if its the right one. Thanks again

davidwilp

Reaction score
On the thunder bolt we used to dial into the keypad *#*4636#*#* That would bring up a screen where we could turn off 4G. I would like to be able to do the same sometimes on the S4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd follow the advice in this thread: [Q] 3G/4G LTE switch - xda-developers

Also switching to 3g won't save you data, data is data. The only difference between the two is speed and the fact you can call and use data at the same time on 4g, otherwise 100mb on 3g is the same as 100mb on 4g.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I'd follow the advice in this thread: [Q] 3G/4G LTE switch - xda-developers

Also switching to 3g won't save you data, data is data. The only difference between the two is speed and the fact you can call and use data at the same time on 4g, otherwise 100mb on 3g is the same as 100mb on 4g.
So it wont use data slower? Back when I had my droid with 3g I thought I was using data less rapidly wheb checking thw usage. I figuree 3g was less demanding in data. I dont mean to say itll save me data completely like wifi does but are u saying it wont use it at a slower rate?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So it wont use data slower? Back when I had my droid with 3g I thought I was using data less rapidly wheb checking thw usage. I figuree 3g was less demanding in data. I dont mean to say itll save me data completely like wifi does but are u saying it wont use it at a slower rate?

It's a time thing. Faster data speeds move more data in the same amount of time. Slower data speeds move less data in the same amount of time.
Let's take my Verizon as an example. On a good signal using lte you'll be able to check your usage in about 5-10 seconds and be done. Using a 3g speed with an average signal the exact same task will take 30+ seconds. You moved the same amount of data in a differing time span.
With us being time oriented, if we can do the same thing in less time we have a tendency to do more to fill up the leftover time by nature, thus using more data overall. When we could only do 1 task in a minute we'd do 1 task in a minute. Since we can do more tasks with lte in that same minute, we have a tendency to do more tasks.
Add in that more Android apps are free but use ads we use more data on Android while loading up the ads while we use the free app when they refresh their ads.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

m3incorp

Reaction score
The reason that some people back in the day would have their phones switch from 4G to 3G, is for the times when they were in an area with no or poor 4G reception, that way they could switch to 3G and save battery life by not having the phone continuously searching for a 4G signal.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon would never let that happen, God forbid you use less data, the new plans where implemented for a reason, and that is for you to burn through your data asap so they can bang you with additional data charges . On another note I don't care, I have unlimited data plan.

alansolo8

Reaction score
Mine is automatic, when signal is good, there's 4G, otherwise it revert back to 3G.

melissambwilkins

Reaction score
Back in the day?

The reason that some people back in the day would have their phones switch from 4G to 3G, is for the times when they were in an area with no or poor 4G reception, that way they could switch to 3G and save battery life by not having the phone continuously searching for a 4G signal.

Back in the day? I' lm STILL in an area with no 4G! My husband works in a nearby city with excellent 4G, and he comes home with 87% of his battery remaining. I have the same phone and lose 10% EVERY HOUR! I'm desperately searching for a setting or app that will let me turn off 4G and still let the phone work. So far, every time I try something, I lose the ability to text, use the Internet, etc. It's VERY frustrating!

melissambwilkins

Reaction score
Mine is automatic, when signal is good, there's 4G, otherwise it revert back to 3G.

Mine switches to 3G when there's no 4G, too, but it constantly looks for that 4G that it's not going to find, which is why I think my battery drains like it's powering my car or something. Never had such a problem with a 4G phone until I got the S4. It stinks.

SonicReducer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone
"mountainbikermar" , you said , " Using a 3g speed with an average signal the exact same task will take 30+ seconds. You moved the same amount of data in a differing time span." However, if I am streaming a 60 minute television show with 3g vs. 4g, the quality is often better with 4g but I can sufficiently get the job with 3g in the same 60 minutes and watch the show. I suspect the quality is better because I am moving more data more quickly yet I can still watch the show sufficiently. If I constantly stream television with 4G, my internet company shuts me down in like half the time as opposed to using 3g and thus, I am using more data to get the same job done as I would get done with 3g and in the same amount of time. I think the poster may have been addressing those same concerns so your answer may send them off in the wrong direction.