Switching email

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by ethan_glaud, Nov 2, 2015.

1. ethan_glaud

ethan_glaud Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So I have a droid turbo, and I know that my phone is linked to my current gmail account. I've made a new gmail account to be my primary one, yet I want to be sure I can fully switch my phone onto this new account, without changing anything. Is this possible, and if so how do I do it? Thanks.

2. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Go.into your settings..add that other gmail account in the accounts area..I have mine set not to auto sync..then you should be able to go into your gmail app..open options..3 horizontal lines on top left..

Then you will see that you can tap on the current account and you will have the option of viewing the other account..or choose all inboxes..and it will show you mail from both inboxes at the same time..

3. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Find the one you want to keep..then go back into accounts and delete the other gmail..if you want to keep both..than do nothing if not personalizing the boxes you see..that's all up to you..

4. ethan_glaud

ethan_glaud Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I didn't clarify, what about all the apps and where do my photos sync to and everything else?

5. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    If you're using a cloud or something... Then you will probably need to set up a different cloud...and you will probably need to change your play store too..you can assign the new gmail to it..I'm not sure what that will do for purchases...they should be fine..I just run 2 on my devices..a personal..and a work email..other than that..your photos will still be in the same location...

You may have to go online via your pc to assign the new email to your account.... Mine are two different accounts...idk for sure if Google will allow it..but you can certainly try..

6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    If you setup a second Google account on your phone, any app that uses a Google account should let you swap between the two accounts.

For example, my wife and I have both signed in to our Google accounts on our android TV. If she wants to rent a movie or download an app using her own personal funds, she can select her account. If I want to use a free rental I got for owning a Chromecast or use my own personal funds, I can select my account.

Doing something like this, logging in from both accounts, you should be able to download your apps that are already tied to your existing account as well as start downloading new apps and connecting them to the new account, or however you want to do it.

If you've PAID for apps using the "old" account, there isn't really any way to transfer those to the new account that I'm aware of.

If your biggest concern is that you want to send and receive emails from the new account instead of the old one, then that's a bit less of an issue. I would still suggest that you keep all apps tied to the old account if you've paid for apps. This way, all of your apps and app data are in one place. You can then still send and receive emails from the new account and/or still send/receive from the old one as well. If nothing else, this will help you in transitioning to the new account completely.

If you haven't paid for any apps, you could much more easily transition to the new Google account.

Hope that makes at least some sort of sense. Because of these issues, my wife of almost 6 months now still has her maiden name as her Gmail account, because we didn't want to hassle with this stuff. Again, if she wanted to send and receive emails from an address using her new last name, that wouldn't be near as big of a deal as if she wanted her apps that she's had for years in some cases tied to a new account.