Switching Between Themes on 1.0

BigMace23

Reaction score
So for version 0.8.4 of Sapphire... to switch themes I would always flash the stock theme first and then flash the new theme I wanted over that... is this necessary at all because I can't seen to find an update.zip for the 1.0 stock theme

mkraffert

Reaction score
So for version 0.8.4 of Sapphire... to switch themes I would always flash the stock theme first and then flash the new theme I wanted over that... is this necessary at all because I can't seen to find an update.zip for the 1.0 stock theme

The notes on the wiki say to flash the main rom without wiping the cache and that will restore the stock theme. Then flash the new theme.

wingdo

Reaction score
You also need to reflash gapps.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bgill55

Silver Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yes its a great rule of thumb to flash the sock rom between themes as one themer might theme something that another may not and them you would have a mix of themes going on!

Wilk

Reaction score
yes its a great rule of thumb to flash the sock rom between themes as one themer might theme something that another may not and them you would have a mix of themes going on!

So when you say flash the stock rom, are you saying just but the update.zip on the root of the sd card and install it as normal without wiping cache, or doing a factory reset and basically reinstalling everything, I just want to make sure before I go back and do anything

bgill55

Silver Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct no need to wipe. Just flash both updates themes reboot and flash theme. I should really make a return to stock update.zip

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I just keep a nice clean version of Sapphire backedup flash to it then theme it in SPRecovery.

Sent from my Droid

justatest

Reaction score
I just keep a nice clean version of Sapphire backedup flash to it then theme it in SPRecovery.

Sent from my Droid

YES. THIS.

reflashing the update/gapps sux. i had a problem doing it a min ago. kept getting constant force closes on launcher pro. had to go back & restore

Wilk

Reaction score
Correct no need to wipe. Just flash both updates themes reboot and flash theme. I should really make a return to stock update.zip

That would be awesome!

flyinion

Reaction score
I see nothing but themed versions of the ROM on the Sapphire site. Does this mean we can flash any of those before dropping a theme on top?

EDIT: nevermind now I finally see the "stock" ROM at the top of the site. I actually installed via ROM Manager but now I understand where the "stock" theme in there is coming from. Hmm I don't remember if I flashed that or not before putting watermark'd on. Time to go make sure lol.

Dash1b

Reaction score

I'd presume that flashing the stock rom over whatever theme you have also wipes out any customizations you've made to the system apps (e.g. any switchapk's you've made). What about things like Gem settings?

jayman350

Reaction score

I'd presume that flashing the stock rom over whatever theme you have also wipes out any customizations you've made to the system apps (e.g. any switchapk's you've made). What about things like Gem settings?

yes it changes everything back to stock, including switchapks, kernels, etc, etc. Your settings will still be there b/c you aren't wiping data.

I'm not a big fan of the new approach to flashing the entire rom and gapps. I miss being able to flash just the themes. This new method is more time consuming b/c you have to re-do all of the modifications made..... or you have to flash your "stock" backup, wait for it to boot, then flash the theme.

I'm a big fan of Sapphire, but this new approach to the theme-ing is probably going to keep me from checking out new themes as they come along..... unless I've got an extra 20-30 minutes to kill.

ahendric

Reaction score
I agree, that is why after I flashed 1.0 and gapps and made all the system changes I wanted, I created a nandroid backup and now when I switch themes, I just restore that backup and then I don't need to reapply any system changes and I don't need to resync anything. Using the other method I ended up with some luna icons and an emerald theme. Right now I am enjoying 928droid's black glass theme.

Later
A