Switching Between ROMs

EbE404

Reaction score
thanks for the help, think i'm getting it and almost ready to jump in!
so i read that some people copy their nandroid back ups to the lap top, you guys recomend that?
and just to be clear on what to do and expect:
- i do tibackup on everything,
- i do nandroid backup,
- i follow the steps for flashing the rom(i think i get) but some say clear
and wipe all caches.. some people don't?)
- may have to re activate phone when boots back up?
- i do tibackup to restore everything somehow? same way i backed up?
and i'm good to go?

do you guys tend to try and run the rom that way for awhile or do most of you then get a kernel so you can overclock it right away?
thanks again!

Some of these questions were (hopefully) answered in my last post, but to the others:

Your general steps and process are correct.

Regarding wiping data and cache-always, always, always read and follow the dev's instructions on how to install the ROM. This will typically be mentioned somewhere in their release post. However, a general rule of thumb is, yes, wipe data and cache before installing the ROM. The possible exception to this rule would be if you are moving within certain versions of the same ROM (perhaps for an update or a different theme version). However, always ask if it is not mentioned explicitly, and when in doubt-wipe.

After doing this, you will not need to completely reactivate your phone, but you will need to re-add your accounts, including your primary Google account. You will be prompted to do this as soon as the phone reboots. If you did not need to wipe data, then you will not need to do this.

As far as additional backups, I keep critical backups in Dropbox as well as my computers.

EbE404

Reaction score
oooh, that totally makes sense now.

Titanium to make things convenient when things go right.
Nandroid- In case they go wrong.

So it seems a good idea to do both.

I guess I had never really thought of it that way, but that is a good way to put it.

Yes, definitely a good idea to do both, but if a gun was put to my head and I only had one to choose, nandroid is more important, as this provides a completely functional restore point for everything in the phone.

For the record, nandroids created in SP Recovery are not compatible with CW Recovery and vice versa. So, if you ever switch back and forth between the two, make sure you keep straight what you did in what version and it might be a good idea to create a nandroid in both.

jtennis

Reaction score
ok, so i made the jump and so far pretty good. i installed a rom, and after reboot i got a lot of apps came back and i did my tibackup restore all apps and settins... but, my launcher pro settings and icons i made and homescreen set up seems to be gone, is that normal? also my app organizer folders i've made and settings are all gone too? also normal? way to get them back, or do i need to reset them up as well as my widgets? thanks again!

EbE404

Reaction score
ok, so i made the jump and so far pretty good. i installed a rom, and after reboot i got a lot of apps came back and i did my tibackup restore all apps and settins... but, my launcher pro settings and icons i made and homescreen set up seems to be gone, is that normal? also my app organizer folders i've made and settings are all gone too? also normal? way to get them back, or do i need to reset them up as well as my widgets? thanks again!

Glad most things seem to be working. Regarding those two issues you mention, I am afraid I do not use either of them, so I cannot directly comment on expected behavior.

I can say that something similar happens to me with my homescreen replacement (Sweeterhome) that requires me to reset some elements, such as added widgets. This (and your issue) is likely due to the cleared cache and the files that are queued for the app in there, although I cannot directly confirm that.