Switching between 3g and 4g

lmpmd

Reaction score
I've heard 3g uses less battery. Can I set my razor maxx to 3g for occasional use? And then go back to 4g when I want to? It would seem a good feature for battery conservation. How do I do this or is it even possible?

Benton

Reaction score
Do this by going to Settings then Wireless and Networks then Mobile networks then Network Mode. Select CDMA/LTE to enable 4G or select CDMA only to lock on just 3G.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
If you go into settings - wireless & network settings - mobile networks - network mode - change to CDMA only, it will not search for 4g and then you would use the same process to change to CDMA/LTE and it would connect to 4g when available...

Raydee35

Reaction score
It makes a big difference in battery life when I use 3g only compared to 4g. I really only use 4g for large downloads.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Rory.Gibb

Reaction score
There's a small app/widget that reduces the clicking necessary to enable or disable 4G/LTE called 4G Toggle. It simply takes you directly to the Mobile Network Settings page on your droid, then as mentioned above you select your Network Mode.

Hail

Reaction score
I live in extended network that pulls 3g , if you can believe it the Maxx does better in a 4g area, maybe because it's a extended network? Haven't figured it out yet!!!!

Sent from my DROID Maxx using DroidForums

Trash Can

Reaction score
I live in extended network that pulls 3g , if you can believe it the Maxx does better in a 4g area, maybe because it's a extended network? Haven't figured it out yet!!!!

With the phone set to LTE/CDMA in a 4G area, the phone doesn't need to use extra power searching for a signal that it wants to use. The phone prefers LTE in this configuration, although you could save power if you were to switch it to CDMA only.

With the phone set to LTE/CDMA in a 3G area, you're using power for 3G plus power looking for a (non-existent) 4G signal. CDMA only will save a lot of battery in 3G areas.

Hail

Reaction score
Yeah I leave on cdma ..... then switch when I hit 4g area.... I believe it's the extended network .... reason I believe is because I had the Thunderbolt before and had similar battery discharge ....