Switched to Google Voice for Messages...Question?

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
So because I'm one of those people who hates making a call to hear her voicemail, I changed my voicemail over to Google Voice to check out the transcript feature. The issue is that I had four messages I hadn't listened to when I switched over and now Voice doesn't see them and the notifications won't go away.

My question is how can I go in and delete these old messages or if there's some way to import or convert them to Google Voice messages? Thanks in advance.

Tone_Capone

Reaction score
If you have a freind with the same carrier call the voicemail on thier phone and you should be able to go to a menu, put in your number and vmail password and check your messages.

That or get in contact with your carrier and ask them for your previous voicemail number

urphonesux

Reaction score
U have to uninstall google voice and then go to ur carriers vm and delete them there and THEN reinstall google voice.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

urphonesux

Reaction score
Op is trying to get rid of their vzw voicemails that were in the phone's inbox before they installed google voice

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

struddles

Reaction score
If you want to remove them you can also dial 611 and they will help you remove the old voicemails.

If not, call your cell phone from any other phone, wait for VM to pickup then hit #
It will allow you to login with your password and from that point you can hit 7 to delete messages.

There is no way to import the voicemails from VZW. It would be much less of a headache just to delete the old VM's.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have a freind with the same carrier call the voicemail on thier phone and you should be able to go to a menu, put in your number and vmail password and check your messages.
Depends on the carrier's VM system. Not all are the same. Not all work the way described above.

U have to uninstall google voice and then go to ur carriers vm and delete them there and THEN reinstall google voice.
No, you do not.

"Activating GV VM" for your carrier number is really just setting up conditional call forwarding to your GV number to allow GV VM to handle unanswered calls.

Specific instructions vary by carrier. The GV site will give you instructions if you click on the link to deactivate GV VM for the phone. Alternately you can just Google the instructions for conditional call forwarding for your carrier.

Installing/uninstalling the app itself does nothing to enable or disable GV VM. There is a step in the process that provides you the instructions to do so but there's no need to touch the app in cases like this.

An easier way would be to just login to http://www.google.com/voice Make sure that the voice messages are deleted, or read.
OP is asking about deleting carrier VM before the switch. Not GV VM. OP could just delete Google VM from the GV app if that was the intent.

If not, call your cell phone from any other phone, wait for VM to pickup then hit #
It will allow you to login with your password and from that point you can hit 7 to delete messages.
Won't work if conditional call forwarding was set up. Conditional call forwarding prevents unanswered calls from rolling to the carrier's VM system. Again, conditional call forwarding must be disabled. Then you can access the carrier's VM system to delete the old messages in the carrier's VM system. Then set up conditional call forwarding once again.

Last edited: