Swipe and screen lock option?

Pelc

Reaction score
I have the s4 through Verizon and just upgraded from the razr Max.
On the razr I was able to set up a lock screen after 10 mins but when the screen was turned off than back on I was able to have a swipe unlock.

With the s4 if I set up the lock screen after 10 mins and turn the screen off and on I don't have a swipe screen and whatever I had open is on the screen. This is causing all sorts of issues in my pocket opening things up.

There a way I can have it with a swipe screen that can lock after a certain time?

GVLBob

Reaction score
I have the s4 through Verizon and just upgraded from the razr Max.
On the razr I was able to set up a lock screen after 10 mins but when the screen was turned off than back on I was able to have a swipe unlock.

With the s4 if I set up the lock screen after 10 mins and turn the screen off and on I don't have a swipe screen and whatever I had open is on the screen. This is causing all sorts of issues in my pocket opening things up.

There a way I can have it with a swipe screen that can lock after a certain time?

One of the screen lock options is "swipe". See Settings|My Device|Lock Screen|Screen Lock.

Then I believe you would set the Screen timeout to the desired interval. That is under Settings|My Device|Display.

See if that does what you desire and report back.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pelc

Reaction score
One of the screen lock options is "swipe". See Settings|My Device|Lock Screen|Screen Lock.

The I believe you would set the Screen timeout to the desired interval. That is under Settings|My Device|Display.

See if that does what you desire and report back.

Not quite.

I don't have a problem with the screen not turning off. My issue is that I want the swipe screen when I turn my screen on but after ten or so minutes I want the lock screen to come on so only I can get into my phone in case I lose it or something.

ThanKS though.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Not quite.

I don't have a problem with the screen not turning off. My issue is that I want the swipe screen when I turn my screen on but after ten or so minutes I want the lock screen to come on so only I can get into my phone in case I lose it or something.

ThanKS though.

Try the "Lock automatically" setting, then. It says " Screen will be locked in "5 seconds" after screen automatically turns off". The "5 seconds" part can be set to 10 minutes if desired.

This setting is part of the Lock Screen settings.

OP
P

Pelc

Reaction score
Try the "Lock automatically" setting, then. It says " Screen will be locked in "5 seconds" after screen automatically turns off". The "5 seconds" part can be set to 10 minutes if desired.

This setting is part of the Lock Screen settings.

I had that setting on but then the problem was that if I turned the screen on I wouldn't have a swipe screen. It would go straight to my home screen or whatever I had open before the screen turned off.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Theoretically, it should do what you want if all of the settings are correct. Did you wait the amount of time you had set for the "lock automatically" to take place?

I just tried this out on my phone and it worked the way I think you wish it to. The settings:

Lock Screen = Secured with PIN
Screen timeout = 2 minutes of inactivity
Lock automatically = 2 minutes

If I waited several seconds after the screen timed out and pressed the Home button, the screen returned with no lock screen.

If I waited more than 2 minutes after the screen timed out, the screen returned with a PIN lock screen.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pelc

Reaction score
Theoretically, it should do what you want if all of the settings are correct. Did you wait the amount of time you had set for the "lock automatically" to take place?

I just tried this out on my phone and it worked the way I think you wish it to. The settings:

Lock Screen = Secured with PIN
Screen timeout = 2 minutes of inactivity
Lock automatically = 2 minutes

If I waited several seconds after the screen timed out and pressed the Home button, the screen returned with no lock screen.

If I waited more than 2 minutes after the screen timed out, the screen returned with a PIN lock screen.

When you say screen returned with no lock screen did it open up to swipe screen or did it go to your home page? Maybe it's different with the pin because i was using the pattern. I'll try the pin in a little bit.

GVLBob

Reaction score
When you say screen returned with no lock screen did it open up to swipe screen or did it go to your home page? Maybe it's different with the pin because i was using the pattern. I'll try the pin in a little bit.

When I didn't wait the "lock automatically" amount of time, it returned to my home page with no lock screen. If I waited more than the "lock automatically" amount of time, it returned to the lock screen.

I would expect that things would work the same regardless of the lock scheme that was chosen.

OP
P

Pelc

Reaction score
When I didn't wait the "lock automatically" amount of time, it returned to my home page with no lock screen. If I waited more than the "lock automatically" amount of time, it returned to the lock screen.

I would expect that things would work the same regardless of the lock scheme that was chosen.

Yeah that's what happens to mine too but that's not what I want to happen. haha.

I'm trying to see if there is a way so that when I don't wait the lock automatically time I have to just swipe to get into my phone instead of it just opening to the home screen. But then when I wait the lock automatic time it will lock with the pattern unlock screen.

I don't want to have to put in my pattern every time I want to use my phone but when the phone is in my pocket my leg hits the home button and it starts opening apps since I don't have to swipe it or anything to open it.

I hope that clears up what i'm trying to say.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am pretty sure that functionality is not going to work for you, in essence you are wanting two lock screen methods in one. I had a Droid Razr Maxx set to lock with a pattern, and if I let my screen timeout and hit the power button before it locked it would go right to my home screen.

Now if I let the lock time pass, I would have to enter my pattern again. There was never a crossing between the two. I seem to remember a bug where there would be a persistent swipe screen even though you didn't want it.

It is possible the function you had on your Maxx was actually a flaw in your favor, however, I have not been able to replicate that on the S4. Sorry for you troubles. I also press the power button to lock my phone instantly, it is a work around but if you get in the habit you will start doing it without thinking and your phone won't come on in your pocket.

OP
P

Pelc

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that functionality is not going to work for you, in essence you are wanting two lock screen methods in one. I had a Droid Razr Maxx set to lock with a pattern, and if I let my screen timeout and hit the power button before it locked it would go right to my home screen.

Now if I let the lock time pass, I would have to enter my pattern again. There was never a crossing between the two. I seem to remember a bug where there would be a persistent swipe screen even though you didn't want it.

It is possible the function you had on your Maxx was actually a flaw in your favor, however, I have not been able to replicate that on the S4. Sorry for you troubles. I also press the power button to lock my phone instantly, it is a work around but if you get in the habit you will start doing it without thinking and your phone won't come on in your pocket.

I broke a few razr Max's and with each new one I was able to do that.

Thought it was a pretty nifty feature cause it allowed me my quick shortcuts and security if I ever lost my phone.

The weirdest thing is I think my gfs s4 did it but I'll have to double check and she has the at&t one and I have the Verizon.

reybie

Reaction score
Is this something you want when outside and not within your home or work wifi environment. The reason I asked is I'm currently doing this with Tasker and Secure Settings. I still keep the Swipe on to prevent my pocket from playing with the phone.

I have Tasker set to disable the pattern lock when I'm at home and reenable it as soon as I get out of my wifi range. And yes, some will argue that people who manage to get a hold of your phone will take it close to your home to unlock the pattern so they can get in it. They can argue all they want :)

OP
P

Pelc

Reaction score
Is this something you want when outside and not within your home or work wifi environment. The reason I asked is I'm currently doing this with Tasker and Secure Settings. I still keep the Swipe on to prevent my pocket from playing with the phone.

I have Tasker set to disable the pattern lock when I'm at home and reenable it as soon as I get out of my wifi range. And yes, some will argue that people who manage to get a hold of your phone will take it close to your home to unlock the pattern so they can get in it. They can argue all they want :)

That's a good idea. But it's something id like all the time.

reybie

Reaction score
Hmm, thinking about it some more, I bet you can still do it with Tasker. I'm a newbie with it but with guidance I'm confident that you can recreate it. Say each time you wake the screen the Tasker timer resets to 0 secs or minutes whichever Tasker uses, only Swipe unlock is enabled at this time. When the timer reaches 10 minutes, Tasker should enable your pattern and when you wake it up again, it starts the count again at 0 and disables the pattern is if it's on.

reybie

Reaction score
Oops, one important thing I forgot, Tasker and Secure Settings needs root to disable/enable the pattern lock properly.