SwiftKey X Free on Amazon Today

robrecht

Reaction score
Highly recommend it! The AI predictive capability is so much better than anything else I've used. Can oftentimes type with only one or two clicks per word.

But note that the word predictions are currently disabled for the HTC email app on the ThunderBolt. This was a quick fix for the predicted words blocking the text box in landscape mode on some screens. They are now aware of the problem and actually received a ThunderBolt today to test on (they are in England). I think the fix should be very easy because the predicted words are no longer blocking the text box when typing in the Subject line of emails in landscape mode.

In the meantime, the predictive capability still works great in Gmail, TouchDown (for MS Exchange), the Comcast Xfinity app, etc.

Thanks, Robrecht

Reaction score
Thanks for the notice. I'll have to try it out. I downloaded the Swiftkey X Beta but could never get it to work on my TBolt so hopefully the final version won't give me any problems.

MisterBill

Reaction score
Thanks.. I had noticed this on my own but came here to post about this because I was just asking about keyboards yesterday.. need to go find that thread where this was suggested.

I have downloaded the free Amazon app of the day before, but this is the first time I've actually been excited to see something there.

Reaction score
I just downloaded it but on the first step of the setup where you have to download your language pack I keep getting a network error. I'm currently on 4G and all my other internet apps work so it's not my phone, just Swiftkey X. Is anyone else having this issue?

Edit:
I tried it again and it force closed. I re-opened to give it one more shot and now it's finally downloading. Maybe the Swiftkey servers were being overloaded with all the free dowloaders doing setup.

Last edited:

MisterBill

Reaction score
I had to retry the language download a few times before it worked. I suspect they're getting slammed.

rsipper

Reaction score
Network error

I'm getting the same network error when I try to download the language pack. I figure they just can't handle the traffic for now.

MisterBill

Reaction score
Ugh, some idiots are giving this 1* on Amazon because they can't get the language pack to download. I read an article that said that at least one publisher had pulled their apps from Amazon because they do not filter whether an app works on your device before allowing you to download it, which resulted it lots of poor reviews from people with unsupported devices. It's really unfair to let morons post 1* reviews when there is nothing really wrong with the product. It makes it look worse to others who come along later on.

kumicho

Reaction score
Works great (took several times to download the language pack but ultimately successful), *but*: I can't figure out how to get it to play nice with my Mail app. It's like it has the To: field and the Compose: fields mixed up. For example, there's no predictive text or autocorrect in the compose field, but both are there in the "To:" field.

Any thoughts? I can understand why they wouldn't have autocorrect in the To: field, but it's.... backwards.

Or am I just displaying that I'm a noob for using the stock Mail client? (it works perfectly well in my Gmail App, along with other typing boxes, just not my Mail app)

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
So happy about this! I almost bought it last night but i didn't. Ive had regular SwiftKey even back from my d1 days ago yeah
!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via DroidForums.

IrrelevantObsession

Reaction score
I just downloaded it myself 10 minutes ago. I did all the steps it asked, I even restarted my phone. But, whenever I have the keyboard pop up, it's the default keyboard! But swiftkey is checked under my keyboard options. Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

comk4ver

Reaction score
If you were using swype you might want to pick android keyboard first...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
R

robrecht

Reaction score
I just downloaded it myself 10 minutes ago. I did all the steps it asked, I even restarted my phone. But, whenever I have the keyboard pop up, it's the default keyboard! But swiftkey is checked under my keyboard options. Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?
The keyboard installation process requires that you select a keyboard twice. Some people miss the 2nd one. But you should not need to re-install. While you're in a document or text box typing, long press on the screen, choose Input method and then select SwiftKey X.

Thanks, Robrecht

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
installed and uninstalled very quickly after. It couldn't even get "gmail" right....kept correcting it to "gnaul". Very frustrating.