Swiftkey or Swype?

Spartan

Reaction score
Ok, been using the HTC keyboard until yesterday when I downloaded the new version of SwiftKey. Wow is this thing good at prediction. I can type at least twice as fast now. Really pleased so far. Only thing I would like to see changed is the numbers and symbols on the same page like the HTC, and the ability to double space to get a periord other than that its fantastic.dancedroid

skaman9876

Reaction score
I don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i dont even see swiftkey in the market.... :( I wanna see what the big deal is. If something gets me to switch from swype I will be dumbfounded but some of you say that you are making the switch i'm interested in giving it a shot

edit: I googled it but was to lazy to sign up.

Last edited:

Spartan

Reaction score
I don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i dont even see swiftkey in the market.... :( I wanna see what the big deal is. If something gets me to switch from swype I will be dumbfounded but some of you say that you are making the switch i'm interested in giving it a shot

edit: I googled it but was to lazy to sign up.

It's not in the market yet. Still in beta. You need to sign up and then they will send you a link with the .apk to install. Mine took a day before I got the email with the link.

kpiskin

Reaction score
I feel like a moron, but I can't get swype to work as well as everyone else does. So I gave swiftkey a try and after using it a bit I really like it. It is causing me to rethink my need for a physical keyboard. Droid X here I come!

Reaction score
So should I give up shapewriter forever? Is swiftkey better than shapewriter or not? Because I still have shapewriter and it is no longer on the market. So if I give it up, I will not get it back.

kpiskin

Reaction score
I would say that at least 75% of the time swiftkey either chooses my next word or lists it after one or two key entries. I have completed a few sentences without typing any words at all, just selecting the next word that is displayed.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So should I give up shapewriter forever? Is swiftkey better than shapewriter or not? Because I still have shapewriter and it is no longer on the market. So if I give it up, I will not get it back.

This isn't the same method as Shapewriter. Instead of sliding your finger, you tap. Go to the link below to see a demo.

is swiftkey on the market cuz I cant find it?

You go to their site at SwiftKey - Revolutionary text prediction for smartphones and enter your email addy for a copy.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I downloaded Swiftkey, but I guess I don’t understand what all the hype is about it. Unless I am doing it wrong, or I just haven’t found the right settings, to me it just looks like an ordinary keyboard. No real differences in it and the stock keyboard on my Droid besides cosmetic ones. Please feel free to flame me in what I am missing here. I want to get the best things I can for my phone. I would like to try swype, but it doesn’t look like I am going to be able to try that one out right now.

dboss007

Reaction score
I downloaded Swiftkey, but I guess I don’t understand what all the hype is about it. Unless I am doing it wrong, or I just haven’t found the right settings, to me it just looks like an ordinary keyboard. No real differences in it and the stock keyboard on my Droid besides cosmetic ones. Please feel free to flame me in what I am missing here. I want to get the best things I can for my phone. I would like to try swype, but it doesn’t look like I am going to be able to try that one out right now.

Did you actually TRY it?? When you type, it shows full words in the boxes above the letter keys based on what you're typing. You can then choose that full word if you see it above without typing additional letters. Also, it tries to predict your next word which means, as was already mentioned, you may not have to ever hit any letters, but just choose full words.

I have both Swiftkey and Swype and to be honest, I love them both. However, I pretty much use Swype all of the type because its much easier for me to use while driving as I don't have to look at the keyboard other than looking at the first letter. From there I can just Swype the word. I do happen to think that once you let Swiftkey learn your typing habits though, its actually faster than Swype.

IMO, these are by far the best two keyboards available to mobile smartphone users as they are both very accurate and very, very fast. Both are far better than the iPhone kb which seems to be what mobile touchscreen kb's are measured against.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Did you actually TRY it?? When you type, it shows full words in the boxes above the letter keys based on what you're typing. You can then choose that full word if you see it above without typing additional letters. Also, it tries to predict your next word which means, as was already mentioned, you may not have to ever hit any letters, but just choose full words.

I have both Swiftkey and Swype and to be honest, I love them both. However, I pretty much use Swype all of the type because its much easier for me to use while driving as I don't have to look at the keyboard other than looking at the first letter. From there I can just Swype the word. I do happen to think that once you let Swiftkey learn your typing habits though, its actually faster than Swype.

IMO, these are by far the best two keyboards available to mobile smartphone users as they are both very accurate and very, very fast. Both are far better than the iPhone kb which seems to be what mobile touchscreen kb's are measured against.

I did notice that, but not when I first tried it. But yesterday it was giving me fits so I went back to the stock keyboard for now. I was trying to text someone when I mistyped something, and when I went to delete the typo it deleted the whole text. It happened 4 straight times. Also when I tried to type a capital letter or a special symbol (#$%) I had to hold down the ALT/ up arrow button while pressing the key I wanted at the same time. Now is this a setting somewhere that I need to change. I guess it is obvious that I was using the physical keyboard.

Now once I noticed the predicted words I really did start liking it. But when the backspace was deleting everything that I typed it really irked me.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Love using swype but kangerade breaks its swyping feature, keyboard works but no swyping, not sure if it was because I didn't wipe, but whenever I would do that the rom would crash, at first I thought it was the font but nope nope, so yeah swype is the way to go

dboss007

Reaction score

I did notice that, but not when I first tried it. But yesterday it was giving me fits so I went back to the stock keyboard for now. I was trying to text someone when I mistyped something, and when I went to delete the typo it deleted the whole text. It happened 4 straight times. Also when I tried to type a capital letter or a special symbol (#$%) I had to hold down the ALT/ up arrow button while pressing the key I wanted at the same time. Now is this a setting somewhere that I need to change. I guess it is obvious that I was using the physical keyboard.

Now once I noticed the predicted words I really did start liking it. But when the backspace was deleting everything that I typed it really irked me.

Hmmm...to be honest, I have no idea. I've really never used my physical keyboard for anything. I've only tried SwiftKey with the onscreen keyboard. Also, I'm not sure if Swiftkey is designed to be used with the physical keyboard since most Android phones don't have one. Give Swiftkey a shot onscreen. The letter buttons are pretty big and the predicted word boxes are pretty large which is very nice...