SwiftKey free on Amazon app store

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by elvyrorie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. elvyrorie

elvyrorie New Member

Just got an email from SwiftKey that said they are offering it for free on the amazon app store. If you haven't tried it out, now would be the time to grab it. It's for one day only.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. fe1111

fe1111 New Member

Link:
    Amazon.com: SwiftKey Keyboard: Appstore for Android

Just came here to post this too!

I alternate between this and Swype, depending on my mood and typing needs (Swype is hard to use while walking haha)

dancedroiddancedroid

3. sportadic22

sportadic22 New Member

midnight pst time right....

only thing i dont like is how the apps i get thru amazon..dont show up in my market place..bc its not using that market
  4. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

I downloaded Angry Birds Rio the other day and then froze the Amazon app and it wouldn't let me run Angry Birds because I didn't have the Amazon app installed. Is that their M.O.? I haven't tried any of the other apps....anyone else?
  5. Lenagainster

Lenagainster New Member

Not sure I'm ready to let Amazon have my mobile number.
    Read the reviews in chronological order (latest first) on the Amazon site. The latest ones give less than stellar ratings for Swiftkey.

Edit: 3/26/11 4:10 EDT
    Shoulda tried it before passing judgement and put so much stock in a string of poor reviews.
    Thanks to Krandle41709's suggestion about using an email address (which Amazon already has), I decided to try out the freebie SwiftKey.
    Initial impression is that it is an extremely good app.
    Now I just hope that it solves the problem that D2s have in text messaging when the suggested contractions (what's, can't, don't, etc.) are use via auto suggest (on the regular virtual or real keyboard), the text message comes out on the recipient's phone garbled, many times as a series of boxes, or multiple texts.
    I like SwiftKey!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  6. krandle41709

krandle41709 New Member

You can also give them an email address

from the thunderbolt
  7. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I would think Amazon would be safer in this reguard, however I just logged into my existing account with them, they don't tie to the phone number like Google.
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Thats correct
  9. abn75

abn75 New Member

I really don't understand the big deal. Amazon makes money when you buy something, so of course they want you to use their market. If I had a business and was giving something away for free I would do the same. Give you something for free in the hopes that you would use my application to spend money, and to make it more likely, link those free apps to my market so that you have to at least keep it.

Now I'm not a big amazon fan, but it's really no different than google. Put in my email and away I go. I already use amazon for some shopping and kindle so they already have my email.

And really it all comes down to the fact that they want to give you some things for free, and ask for you to have a app on you phone even if you don't use it. Good trade off to me.

Sent from my DX running DS4.2
  10. WugFresh

WugFresh Developer Developer

To set up 1-click downloading you will be prompted to set it up with your phone number

@abn75
    Agreed. I said this in the shazam thread, but for those of you who didn't read that or know about conventional marketing tactics, what amazon is doing is called loss leader captive marketing, basically what this means is that they are intentionally losing money for the sole purpose of bringing you to their venue... why? - in hopes that you will stay at their venue and purchase something in the future. This tactic is employed all over the place.. basically anytime you see a deal too good to be true.. especially when it's promoted.. that is exactly what they are doing.

But hey.. its a good trade off.. they can try and use marketing tactics on me all day.. I don't care. Lol. As long as amazons app doesn't run actively in memory then I don't care.

{{ WugFresh }}
  11. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

I kinda like it that way.
    Apps I don't want update notifications for I'll install via Amazon.

Staring at the Market application update notifications (that you can't disable selectively) will make you update perfectly working apps that you didn't really want to update. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  12. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Pretty nice. I still love swype, but I think my husband would like it a lot.
  13. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

And If they do it long enough, they can force their closest competitor who doesn't do likewise out of the Market, as we have seen happen in the Grocery Store business.

14. WugFresh

The one thing I like about the amazon marketplace which is a feature I thought should be included a long time ago, is save for later. Thats such an important feature and will equal more revenue for devs. Think about how many times you were about to buy an app.. then you were like.. ehhh.. I'll grab it later. Having a place with all your intended purchases increases the likelihood that you will actually purchase it dramatically because it reminds you of your wishlist apps. I think there should be another feature though, called deal watcher, that notified you if any of your apps in in your wishlist fall below a certain dollar amount the user defines... or even better, the user bids what they would be willing to pay for the app, and if the price ever dropped to it, the user's card would be automatically charged and the app would be purchase the moment the deal was available.. obviously this would have to be governed by settings.. like the user could choose the auto purchase as an option, but they could also choose email notifications... ect.

I am happy to see amazon stepping in. It's nice to see a company using real marketing tactics for once. This is great for devs. You would think google of all companies would know a thing or two about marketing.. I mean they only have the largest amount of marketing research in the world... wouldn't you think they would do a little more with their market app besides top paid, top free.. and some picture adds. Amazon will do what google should have and hopefully the competition will drive google to make a legit market finally.

{{ WugFresh }}
  15. LocoRon

LocoRon New Member

I've been on the fence with the Amazon Appstore, so I installed it and grabbed a couple of their free apps.

Now, it is notifying me of an update that is available (presumably for one of the apps). With the Android Market, clicking the update notification opens the Market, and displays the list of apps I have installed, with text alerting me to which apps have updates available. I can then review the apps, and look at the changelog to determine whether or not I want to proceed with the update, and I will also be notified if the app is requesting a new set of permissions. This is the behavior I expect from my "application manager." However, clicking on the notification update for Amazon Appstore presents me just with a generic "the application install will replace an existing application: proceed/cancel" prompt, and then, I think, simply download the app and install, without allowing me to review what is being changed... in fact, without even informing me of WHAT APP is being updated.

No thanks Amazon. No thanks.
  16. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Maybe eBay will step in and take over the Marketplace :)

17. WugFresh

Thats a good point... maybe amazon has a review process?

Either way... changelogs are in order.. I don't think they can do permissions granted unless they cut a deal with google... and google is not the easiest company to make deals with... even if you are amazon.
    I guess you could always first go to the google market and then go to amazom. Someone should make a third party app.. kinda like AppBrain that does that.. reviews and changelogs from google, downloads from amazon. There is obviously an API for both.. shouldn't be too hard...

{{ WugFresh }}
  18. google123

google123 New Member

I got my copy :D

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App