Sweeter Home 2 - Action--Advanced

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by c0y0te, May 23, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. c0y0te

c0y0te Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody hip to this stuff?

I just got turned on to SH a few days ago and am now on a mission from god to exploit it to it's maximum potential.

My first quest is to create a home page phone dialer pop up from a springboard using ActionBlocks. :icon_ rocker:<------Possible? Steep hill for a noob, I know.

I'm lurking around on the Sweeter Home forums, but it looks like most people over there are still scratching their heads, too. Also, there doesn't seem to be very many people over there yet.

Any power users who haven't experienced this program owe it to themselves to check out the beta from sweeterhome.com. Its not yet on the market, but is absolutely amazing, earth shattering awesome.

So... please feel free to post up any design ideas you might have, and feel even more free to share your knowledge of Action Intent URIs or where I might learn the ins and outs of the native android dialer app.
  2. MAD450r

MAD450r Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    yes it is,
    but not using springboard.

Here's what I did
    make a custom tray rename it to dialer, then add the dialer as you would normaly to a stock screen. Once you see the icon in the block you made simply resize it and move it to where you want it, now go to the color change portion in the editor and make the dialer iccon transparent then it should popup when you hit it, now you can click new and add picture block and add whatever pic you want to show there, [I used writing myself]or use icons try it out see what you come up with.

Oh I almost forgot dont forget to lock the tray so you dont drag the dialer out later by accident.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. MAD450r

Ratings:
    +1
    ?'s

Have any other ?'s feel free to post back in this thread i'll keep watch.

first shows after you hit edit hit menu and you will see that screen hit new

then add custom tray first
    rename it and add your dialer
    then resize the block and set the color in the editor if you want to just use this as your icon then your done
    but you can make it transparent and hit menu then new again and add a picture tray then choose a pic off your phone to put over it.

can also do this later when adding the spring boards you referred too before.
    those will spring up trays not just a single app :) also one spring board trigger as I call them can be linked to many items. I have one screen that has 10 widgets on it they all popup when I click toggle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

once you get more into editing you will find it comes easier, dont forget to save often [sweeter home still isn't perfect by anymeans but its come a long ways and does crash if you edit too long at a time] and reload your theme to make sure your work saved
    I try to only edit for about 20 minutes then save again every 2 saves I reload just to be on the safe side.
  4. c0y0te

c0y0te Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off, thanks for the reply! I've been relentlessly downloading other people's themes and screwing with them to see what sort of techniques they've used, which has taught me a great deal in the past ohh... 10 hours or so.

I think I've got a hang (sort of) of what you are talking about with the transparent icon/picture block trick. The layering intricacies are still uncharted territory, but what I'm really looking for is more along the lines of a dial pad widget that is native to one particular screen; sort of like PhoneWidget, but coded within SH.

I don't know if you are familiar with that particular widget, but it doesn't look very good and I really want to have the same functionality, but themed to my liking and with control over the size and placement.

I took some classes in highschool on graphic design with the Adobe and Macromedia suites of the day along with visual basic, etc. That was 10 years ago (jeeeezus) but I'm somewhat familiar with most of these basic concepts. I would really like to come up with something special, though. I've yet to see anybody take advantage of ActionBlocks.

I figured out about an hour ago that I could just put a picture of a themed dialpad over PhoneWidget, similar to the method you've described with the tray icon but using the widget instead, but the geek in me feels the need to press my luck with the URI code which few people know anything about (and they don't seem to talk much.)

The reason I like this functionality is because I frequently need to enter long number sequences into automated touchtone banking systems. I need to have a note of the number sequence displayed on screen at the same time as the dial pad so I don't have to remember or write down the numbers. I mean, Droid does right? Well, only with a crumby widget at the moment.

I definitely appreciate the tip about frequent saves and reload checks. You probably saved me some serious heartache. So far I've just been goofing around with basic stuff, but I'm approaching the point of actually having something close to a theme of my own that I can actually use. (imagine that, lol.)

Anywho... Those memory widgets you have next to setcpu look sharp. Are they free? haha. I also like the central clock placement. I usualy keep mine like that on a blank screen and was thinking of accenting it with widgets from a springboard in a similar way.

I'll pop back in here with my progress and hopefully some other Sweeter Home folks will show up with some fresh ideas. This program has me gitty as a schoolgirl thinking about what its capable of doing. Apparently there is some animation functionality but I havn't even attempted to look into that yet.

Thanks again for the reply and hopefully you don't mind reading long rambling posts :)

Btw - Honda motorcycles :thumbsup:
  5. MAD450r

Ratings:
    +1
    yes they are free on the market

as for a widget if you fing it then you can add a widget block then add a springboard and once you edit on the spring board the first option you can set allows you to link it to any tray you have, so scroll to the widget you want to link it too and your should be set.

more you play with it the more you will learn

my mem widgets are called
    internal memory widget http://od6hcg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pozBhMYtNAXsHaVFyt69G6mC5RVqPkJQIS-rYP_06HrNEk5ZkyxG5_yw0-JLr77eG1crShCYH3oCZrcSSMhjssuSCvc5b-UXz/Internal%20Memory%20Widget%200.9.1.apk?download
    memory manager http://od6hcg.bay.livefilestore.com...tNN1iqWu/Auto Memory Manager 1.7.apk?download
    sdcard memory http://od6hcg.bay.livefilestore.com...wDnU/SD Card Memory Widget 0.9.4.apk?download

not sure which I have on there at the time :)
  6. grimloktt

grimloktt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Subscribing! I'm just getting into SH2 as well. Awesome potential!!!
  7. MAD450r

Ratings:
    +1
    c0y0te

Are you referring to the paid app Phone widget. If so you can just copy the apk to your pc and edit it yourself to change colors to match your layout better, as for changing text I've still never learned that myself, thats one of the things I really need to learn when editing these widgets
    see myspace/twitter/facebook[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. c0y0te

c0y0te Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, looking good man!

I've attempted to edit the phone widget app (yeah that's the one) and had trouble loading it back up. It just says "installation failed" after I edit the image files, put them back into the .zip, rename to .apk and attempt to install. The app won't load when I just drop in system/app.

I havn't spent much time or tried pestering anyone about it, but it is something I would like to figure out. Is there some protocol I'm not following? I get the feeling that text/font changes will require .xml editing which I am NOT quite ready to begin... But I don't like to set limits for myself so don't think I'm not interested.

It's nice to hear that it is possible because I was starting to think that the app was locked up somehow. I tried looking at the .xml files, but they all looked blank (in phone, I don't have an .xml editor for the PC yet.)

Thanks for keeping me in mind! I'm working on a smoked glass theme and will post some pics up when I get it looking presentable.
  9. MAD450r

Ratings:
    +1
    first are you rooted?

If you are download root explorer.

Once you have root explorer put the edited apk back onto your sd card and copy it to
    system/app using root explorer.
    once its there long press on it and set the permission like this pic.
    then reboot and it should work if you didn't rename the png's
    I know my pic is for a different app but this is what permissins need to be set at when you manually push files to system app. Good luck and let me know if you still cant figure it out.
    I [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010