Surround sound from a phone? Really?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't help but think about the concept of "surround" sound and how someone thinks they can accomplish this with surrounding one with speakers. The smallest speakers on my high-end home system is as large as my entire phone, not to mention any speaker. I doubt the speakers in the phone are even close to the same type of cone type anyway.

So HTC says they're coming out with the HTC Surround, with slide out stereo speakers. Stereo, suggesting sound separation, for two speakers that are no further apart than a single conventional speaker. I don't see it. I can see that they may be able to obtain a higher level of musical sound than previous phones, but surround sound? I have my doubts.

What are your thoughts?

HTC Surround (Sound) Coming Soon to AT&T

htc_surround_p02.jpg

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I think they're marketing it as surround sound because it has more than two speakers. It's certainly got good sound, but not surround sound.

Just the usual BS phone marketing - there is no possible way you can achieve anything like surround sound, without surrounding the user with speakers.

Also, you're going to have a phone that slides out with - speakers? Not a keyboard? Really, HTC?
AT&T has always been the place where good phones go to die, but I think now they're entering a new era - that of the "Hey, will the consumers like this idea?" phone.

phartwig

Reaction score
You should take a look at some bose stuff before claiming it cant be done without surrounding the person with speakers.

However, from a phone I do agree hardly going to be possible.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should take a look at some bose stuff before claiming it cant be done without surrounding the person with speakers.

This is true, 'surround' sound can be accomplished with just 2 speakers...

my sound driver on my PC does this. called 3-d sound but same idea.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

This is true, 'surround' sound can be accomplished with just 2 speakers...

my sound driver on my PC does this. called 3-d sound but same idea.

Yes, but equates to improved sound, not surround. I am always amazed at the sound that Bose systems put out.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's "surround sound", not "surround speakers". Of course a mobile device won't surround you with speakers but there are plenty of 2 speaker surround systems as pointed out above. Are they as good as "true" surround systems using 5.1 or more channels? Not in my experience.

yea the Bose systems are incredible.
Bose is ok but hardly the best or most cost effective option out there. It's yet another highly subjective matter but for most it seems that experiencing better audio systems will reveal the flaws and weaknesses in Bose's offerings.