Surf While Talking Over 4g On Nexus 6 After The 5.1 Update

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-6-2777-003.jpg

I have run into this dilemma on more than one occasion since purchasing my unlocked Nexus 6 for use on Verizon. The person you are talking to asks a question, you know where to find the answer, but you have to go online to get the answer. This was one of the key features when Verizon made the switch to sim cards a few years back. This feature was broken on the unlocked Nexus 6 when being used on the Verizon network. It does appear that Google has fixed this in Android 5.1 with the new VoLTE addon.

To activate this you will first need to log onto your account on the myverizon website and turn on the HD Voice feature which is free. From the dialer type *#*#4636#*#* to enter into the hidden settings menu. From there you will need to choose "Phone Info", then tap the option "turn on volte provisioned flag". When finished reboot your device. Next go to your phones normal settings, tap the more option under wireless and networks, then tap cellular networks, the option for enhanced 4g lte mode should now be turned on. Enjoy surfing while talking without wifi!

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Google didn't fix it, VoLTE by design uses data. All you are doing is making a call over your LTE instead of using CDMA.

I think it's awesome, don't get me wrong. I know Verizon is leading the way with VoLTE (as they do with almost everything else), and has been working on it alongside AT&T to get it operating on their networks.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, let me understand this. The Nexus 6 is not able to surf while talking (with a non wifi connection) because it is using 4G LTE for voice?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
So, let me understand this. The Nexus 6 is not able to surf while talking (with a non wifi connection) because it is using 4G LTE for voice?
It is the other way around. You used to not be able to browse and talk at the same time on CDMA 3G networks. VoLTE allows browsing and calls because your call is a data connection, not a switched connection.

With the addition of VoLTE, surfing and calls are indeed possible.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I was able to surf and talk on my Galaxy Nexus, because it separated Voice and Data (when on LTE). When it was on 3G mode, I could not.

I would figure this would be the same on newer devices, especially the Nexus 6.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I just tried it out... Nice. I actually got jammed up 3-4 times over the past few months when trying to get info from an email while on the phone. Problem solved! Using the internet while on the phone is something you never think of until you don't have it.

I actually turned on HD calling when I first got my phone and I activated it when I activated my N6 online with VZW. I saw the option and figured "sure!". I was wondering when I'd see the benefit... all smiles.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Yeah, all these new LTE features I am a bit behind on.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm sure I'm just looking past it, but where in the My Verizon website do you turn on the HD Voice feature? I see everything from bilking and upgrade device, to suspend or reconnect and activate or switch device.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If I recall-- it's under "change plan".

It should be in the same section as things like "equipment protection" and "visual voicemail". It doesn't cost anything.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If I recall-- it's under "change plan".

It should be in the same section as things like "equipment protection" and "visual voicemail". It doesn't cost anything.
I'll have to wait until I receive 5.1. When I added HD Voice and rebooted, the was no cellular service :(. Removed it and service was back after rebooting.

Looking forward to being able to surf while on a call, again.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I assume this only works on the OTA 5.1? Tried it with the 5.1 rom I am currently running and no dice. o_O

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I just used HD voice on VZW and discovered that if you use Google Voice for your voice calls you won't connect in HD.

My wife has the iPhone 6+ and I first called her from my phone using GV and we didn't connect in HD. I then turned off GV and called via the native phone connection and *pow* "HD" popped up on the call screen and the connection was great!

So, HD calling does NOT work if you use GV for your calls.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
I have tried it on my friends phone it worked with OTA 5.1....:)

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I just used HD voice on VZW and discovered that if you use Google Voice for your voice calls you won't connect in HD.

My wife has the iPhone 6+ and I first called her from my phone using GV and we didn't connect in HD. I then turned off GV and called via the native phone connection and *pow* "HD" popped up on the call screen and the connection was great!

So, HD calling does NOT work if you use GV for your calls.
HD calling and Google Voice are fundamentally two different things. Google Hangouts uses a proprietary protocol for communications. Verizon's HD Voice I am fairly certain is part of the VoLTE standard.

I would need to read more about it, but based on what I have read tells me that Verizon's HD Voice and Google Hangouts are two completely different animals.