[Support] Privacy Blocker

Discussion in 'Xeudoxus' started by xeudoxus, Mar 8, 2011.

1. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X
    Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    All "xoom" bugs have been fixed, I just have to finish the new "xoom" UI.

Thanks for letting me know though.
    -Matt

2. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Matt,

Coming from a Windows Mobile background - I'm brand new to Droid.

I like the concept of your app and purchased it. Still trying to figure out a couple of things. Couple questions follow.

1. Found a cute app called House of Horrors (JT Publishing). Ran PB on it, fixed all six things. Saved instead of installed. Uninstalled original app via Task Mgr/Downloaded. Using MyFiles, navigated to /sdcard/privacy-blocker/appSave and clicked on app. It installed. When I run the app, it has advertisements in it. Is this normal?

2. Scanned JuiceDefender v3.5.6. PB identifies 5 issues. When I attempted to fix, PB goes through all the motions and then returns saying, "Something is wrong. Nothing was fixed."

3. Under Settings/Advanced, can I simply put anything I want in the fields or do I need to stick with defaults? Example: MCC+MNC (just enter a random five digit number?), Unique Device ID (just enter a random 14 digit hex number?), etc.

4. Original files go to appBackup and fixed files go to appSave, correct?

5. I've noticed in some cases that I end up with a file also in /sdcard in addition to /sdcard/privacy-blocker subdirs.

6. I presume your database is online? How does the program get updated info to fix apps?

Thanks again!
    John

3. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X

Ratings:
    +0
    1. PB does not remove advertisements, it only removes the "code" that advertisements use to track your phone (Not GPS tracking) with false data.

2. Long press on the app that you are having problems with and you can report an error with the application (It will notify me with the problem so I can update the db).

3. You can put whatever you want but it is recommended to stick with the default "value lengths" so if a value is 13 chars, then keep it 13 chars.

4. If you backup then yes, if you choose to "save" instead of "install" then yes.

5. That should not happen, let me know the filenames/what app it does that too and ill check it out.

6. Eventually there will be a online database, but currently I have to update PB manually to "fix" app problems with fixing (PB does not work like a virus scanner, it decompiles the code of every app and then changes it "So if PB fails, it fails because it could not properly write the new code. But it always finds the code properly").

Thanks,
    -Matt

4. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Matt,

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Sent report from PB for JuiceDefender v. 3.5.6. Not sure how you identify it came from me though.

2. As mentioned before, some apps showing up in /sdcard instead of subdirs. In this case, JuiceDefender showed up as "com.latedroid.juicedefender-1.apk" at 838.9KB in size.

3. You mentioned that you did not remove the ads but rather the tracking code. I guess I'm a bit confused about one point. If I 'fix' an app having network access, it is not denying it access - only changing what is xmitted about my phone, correct? What if I want to simply stop it from xmitting?

Thanks!
    John

5. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X

Ratings:
    +0
    1. Report will not be identifiable, so Ill see the app problem, but never who it came from.

2. Ill check it out.

3. It depends on how they use the "check to see if user is online, code" If they check to see if your online first before displaying ads then (yes, telling the app you are offline will prevent the ads from working) but the "check to see if user is online, code" does not always mean that it is associated with ad displays. Later ill make it so you can disable "all" internet access from an app". I could enable PB to disable all ads in an app, but I feel developers would get very mad about that.

-Matt

6. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

I understand how you don't want to shut down devs using ads. I guess I can live with that so long as my identifiable info isn't xmitted.

Thanks,
    John

7. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

Forgot to ask... If the apps DB is not online, how does the prg update? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall or does it update some other way?

Thanks,
    John

8. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X

Ratings:
    +0
    The update will come from the market (So the market will let you know there is a new update of PB when I update it.) Updating PB from the market will not loose any info.

9. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

I'm totally new to all this, so forgive my newbie question but does the Market auto update my phone when a new version of an app is posted? Does it email me and let me do it, or what?

Thanks,
    John

10. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

Ratings:
    +2
    You'll receive a notification an app has an update available, in market it will prompt you to update, but you can decline if it if you choose.

You can install, uninstall, and update all through the Android Market, no emails or anything required.

11. jh3141

jh3141 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Swype?

Having some trouble with scanning Swype: for some reason it isn't showing up on the list of my installed apps. Also I've got the backport of the gingerbread keyboard to froyo installed, and this isn't showing up either. Any ideas what's going on?

12. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X

Ratings:
    +0
    PB only loads up the standard app list, so no standalone widgets, LWP, keyboards. Next version of PB will have categories that you will be able to choose from.

"Someone" spilt liquid on my xoom (Its broken now) So development on PB has been slowed down.

Thanks,
    -Matt

Search tags for this page
how to use privacy blocker for rage of bahamut
peggle the request was unauthorized
peggle unauthorized request

privacy blocker

privacy blocker apk
privacy blocker crashes
privacy blocker crashing
privacy blocker out of memory
privacy blocker out of memory error