[Support] Privacy Blocker

Discussion in 'Xeudoxus' started by xeudoxus, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

Ratings:
    +2
    Yup pretty much, it's only editing/cleaning apps, and you don't need root access to edit .apk files.

And if you read the description it never mentions requiring root access for anything.

2. alanh

alanh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe I found the issue. I was clicking "OK" after installation immediatly. After trying again, with several others working and some not, I noticed that if I waited at least 10 seconds it worked.

Request and suggestion: Put in delay or verification that app is fully uninstalled and fix completely written to sdcard before prompting the "OK" to continue re-installation of fixed app.

Yay.

3. vivid

vivid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

One suggestion for sorting the apps. list them in this order not scanned, scanned with issues, had issues now fixed, scanned with no issues. It sort of gives you a to-do list ;)

I have run into a few issues and I was not sure how to report them as they don't really fit into one of the "report" options. They are all Amazon App Store free paid apps for a day:

Shazzam Encore
    SoundHound infinity
    Weather Bug Elite
    Doodle Jump

The first three I fix everything apart from unique IMSI and Device ID. I thought these would be needed as it was a paid and pulling data from their servers. I can fix and install each but when I run them they startup fine but once open a popup comes saying "Unauthorized Request. The request was not authorized" then they close.

Both Doodle Jump (amazon) and Airattack HD Part 1(android market) would fix but on install there was no file to install. So I would fix, select to install, uninstall old version and be brought back to PB screen asking me to install or save to SD but at that point neither the old nor fix app could be found. I would then restore from TI.

Dr Web Light and Percentage calculator (cityjams) give the "can not scan private apps" message. I reported these through PB.

Running:
    Rooted SGS Vibrant with Bi-Winning V1 ROM and Overstock 2.2 kernel.

#195 vivid, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. DarkLordSauron

DarkLordSauron New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Xeudoxus,
    I now you've already answered about root questions, but I just would like to say that I'm also interested to get a way to fix system apps.
    Privacy Inspector is able to find issues of some system apps, now we need something to fix them with Privacy Blocker. I have a Motorola Defy and I'd like to scan and fix all Blur Apps. They are detected by Privacy Inspector, but not by Privacy Blocker. That's important for me.
    By the way, good application, thank you :) I've fixed apps like iGO and Advanced Task Manager, for example.

On the other hand, I would like to report you some problems I'm getting:

1) When there are new apps and I scan to update the DB, Privacy Blocker crash. It updates the DB, but crash (FC) whenever I try to scan again for a time. That doesn't happen always, so I'm trying to determine when it occurs.

2) I'm trying to fix two large apps: Google Maps and WhatsApp. Both take a lot of time in baksmali, but I guess that is normal because they are large apps.
    When I try to fix WhatsApp it crash starting with smali. No FC, just crash.
    Regarding Google Maps, it came to me with the ROM I installed, so Privacy Blocker didn't detect it (but Privacy Inspector does). Then, I've uninstalled, downloaded new version and installed it again. Now Privacy Blocker also detects it. Then, I try to fix it and it crashes when it's going to start with smali, like WhatsApp, but I get a FC with stack trace "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at fl.a(Unknown Source) at fl.a(Unknown Source) at ek.run(Unknown Source)". Actually I don't know if it happens when it starts smali or when it finishes repairing, but I never see "smali" word.
    One thing more, Google Maps comes together with Latitude, Navigation and Places and I can not install them one by one. After a long time to find problems, all four apps have the same issues. Do you think Privacy Blocker is scanning always the same app? I don't like Latitude, but I can not uninstall only it, so I would like to try to fix some of its issues that I don't want to fix in Navigation, for example.

Finally, please, could we help you with this app in some way besides sending reports to you? I mean, some of us could debug, program or whatever. I really love this application and I would like to improve it as much as possible.

Oh, and one idea apart from ones already mentioned: you could add a registry key in Android in order to apk files can "open with" Privacy Blocker. That could patch somehow the problem with system apps for rooted phones, couldn't? Because anybody can copy the apk file to a writable directory and uses Privacy Blocker with it...

P.S.: The new UI looks good for horizontal viewpoint ;)

5. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm having issues scanning 2 apps.

1: Evernote LINK to Market

2: Places LINK to Martket

I've sent error logs about both failed. Thank you for all your support and hardwork! :D

6. SkullOne

SkullOne Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot fix Amazon Appstore applications due to the DRM. Yet, again DRM doesn't harm pirates but screws us legit customers.

7. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X
    Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    To "fix" system apps you will need root and the app needs to be modded to work with root, other then fixing system apps and accessing private apps, PB does not need root.

Ill check into it, but once the next update has been released if you want to let me know if the problem has been fixed, I would appreciate it.

As SkullOne stated, those use a form of DRM. I am looking into a solution that would not label PB as a "Hacking" app.

-Sorting options will be added soon.
    -With the maps/latitude...... they are 1 .apk that then gets icons for all 4, there is a way to block 1 or 3, but PB cannot do that.
    -On helping improve the application, shoot me a gtalk (xeudoxus@)gmail com
    -Im not sure what you mean by "open with" , but later im going to have a "scan/fix from sdcard" and enable fixing of system apps (But only to copy to sdcard) So if you have root you can push it back to "/system/app/". Then later enable a "cheat code" that will unlock root features.

-Matt

8. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and if anyone want to help improve on the UI design, it would be greatly appreciated (I hate the UI of PI/PB), I like the BG's though ;)

-Matt

9. jeffx

jeffx New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the Xoom, has anyone been able to get PB to work at all for fixing apps? I can scan apps, but any attempt to fix anything just immediately force closes. This also always happens when exiting the Settings page. I know Xoom support is not fully working, so just curious.

Works much better on my Droid 1, though. Only occasional FC's.

10. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X

Ratings:
    +0
    full xoom support is being worked on, it will be in the next update.

-Matt

11. jeffx

jeffx New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the 'BAD' things some of the apps are reported to be doing, just how bad exactly is it that an app, for instance, generates a Unique Device ID like most ad-driven apps seem to have. What does it allow them to do that I should be pissed/worry about? In other words, until PB can fix apps on the Xoom, is it OK to go ahead and play games that are doing it?

It seems like these bad flags are not necessary to push ads, since some that do use ads are not generating the unique IDs and whatnot (or at least the scanner doesnt find it)?

One other thing I find really annoying is that many PAID apps seem to have the same flags thrown when scanned. Why does a paid app, that isnt showing any Ads, show the Unique Device ID flag? One example is the recent free amazon app Majesty, which has that flag when scanned. Is that because it is a 'shady' paid version which still does some background sending of data for admob purposes?
    I also found 'Unique IMSI', etc. flags in the Ad-free version of Angry Birds from amazon that I bought. That really annoys me. Is there a legit reason for this?

Thanks for any reply.

12. prime

prime Kernel Developer
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +74
    status update?

Search tags for this page
how to use privacy blocker for rage of bahamut
peggle the request was unauthorized
peggle unauthorized request

privacy blocker