1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Support] Privacy Blocker

Discussion in 'Xeudoxus' started by xeudoxus, Mar 8, 2011.

1. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

If you have questions/bugs/or problems with Privacy Blocker, post here Ill answer/fix asap.

-Matt
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad New Member

Hi, I am getting a forced close when I try to fix Angry Birds. I have a droid 2 running liberty 1.5.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. xeudoxus

Ill check it out
  4. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

That question deserved repeating (it was from the Droid News thread) as the answer could influence what apps I fix depending on the severity of what they're doing.

Don't know if what I noticed matters much though since I'm still on the beta but hopefully not much has changed between the beta and final release. However, tonight when I go home (can't do it while at work) I'm most certainly buying this. Absolutely love this application. :icon_ banana:

I also see a lot of FC's on the original Droid running Android 2.3. Especially during the fixing process of large apps like Angry Birds. Funny how Angry Birds Seasons doesn't have any issues but Angry Birds does LOL.

I also see the FC's after uninstalling an app. That wouldn't really be a big deal but even with auto-save enabled the fixed app isn't always being saved. :( Work around is to just save the fixed app to the SDCard, manually uninstall, and then manually install fixed version.

With an application like the Dolphin Browser it has 8 security holes. MCC+MNC, Phone Type, Radio Type, Unique Device ID, Roaming, Current Country, Network Type Code, Network Connected. Is there a simple way to know if fixing all of them will make the Browser not work? Or is it kind of just fix it all and see what happens?

Is this safe to use on the Google applications like Goggles and YouTube? Not sure why Goggles needs to know things like cell tower name, phone type, radio type, and others.

Xeudoxus you have out done yourself sir! I think I speak for every Android user out there when I say this:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
  5. huskur

huskur New Member

Anyone else getting stuck at "authorizing" in the market? Cannot download it for some reason. I have received the email on the purchase and looked at the progress and it is still stuck. I have tried multiple times to download it with zero success :(

Just downloaded "privacy inspector" with no problem
  6. xeudoxus

Because the modded apps are being resigned with test keys. Updating them from the market will require removal of the modded one before the new one can be downloaded/installed. (There is no way around that even with root), but im working on a nice solution (If you detect a market update then tell my app to "update the app" and it will auto uninstall the modded .apk, download the update, and rescan)

smali/baksmali takes up TONS of memory, I have already reduced smali's code more then 6,000 lines to get it to work on android (In time, it will get better). OutOfMemory problems are going to be common and huge apps (Angry Birds, Documents-to-go, Maps, Quickoffice) will be less likely to be able to fix.

ill check up on the "Auto-Save".

If PB finishes (Does not crash) and prompts for the "install" then most of the time the .apk should work just fine (Ive seen some odd signing problems though). If you find an app that crashes after being "fixed" let me know.

It should be, I actually never tried to fix a Google app.

Thank you

-Matt
  7. jramey

jramey New Member

Love this App

This will be a game changer for sure.

I also see a lot of FC's on the original Droid running Android 2.2.1 Especially during the fixing process of apps like Angry Birds & Alchemy.
    When I tried to Repair CamCard it went through the process but let the issues unresolved.

Thanks for any help
  8. xeudoxus

on apps that fc when you scan/fix (Try killing all of your running apps) if you looked at the logcat it would say "OutOfMemory".

On apps that it "looks" like its fixing or crashes while smali and no "outofmemory" then let me know what that app is and ill take a look.

If you long click on the app you can bring up a menu that has "problem", just click that and report which problem that app is having.
  9. xeudoxus

Also as a side note, I guess on the AT&T phones, you will have to have "side loading" enabled. Other wise PB cannot reinstall the modded .apk back to phone....

A workaround would be to "save to sdcard" then use adb to install the modded .apk back to phone.

Im looking into better solutions.

-Matt
  10. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

Good to know. Many thanks. Can't wait to see if you can get the update functionality to work. That would be incredibly cool. I'm not too worried about the memory issues as I'm due to upgrade and Thunderbolt will hopefully be in my hands soon enough.

What I find the most interesting about what this app does is how many other apps access stuff they really shouldn't be. It is very enlightening.

For instance the application "Elixir" accesses 19 things. Now I know that Elixir accesses more stuff then normal because of what it does and users give it that permission. However, in the long run Elixir doesn't need to know things like the state of the SIM or whether the phone is roaming in order to function correctly.

I'm already in the process of eliminating some apps that don't get used anymore or very rarely. Why bother worrying about fixing them if I don't really use them?

Once again many thanks for what is probably the best application on the Market. It is very rare to say that I'm looking forward to buying an app but this one is well worth the money.

EDIT: Question. The app Fancy Widget apparently grabs the Network Type Code. If that permission was removed would that make the widget unable to update the weather information or is that a totally separate permission from this?
  11. dafischman

dafischman New Member

I posted in the news thread about an issue I was having. You recommended getting a copy of the logcat for you. How do I look at the logcat? I have a Droid 1 running the shadowrom Rom. It keeps failing on step 5 of 7. The program I just tried it on was Bistro Cook, and the red box that popped up said Bistro Cook Failed.

Edit:

To add it's also failed on Angry Birds and Alchemy in the same way. I can scan them, but when I choose to fix it fails on the smali step.
  12. xeudoxus

Permissions are never "removed" just replaced with static/set values (So it will never read those directly from you phone, it just uses the default)

In "Advance Options" you can set those values, so you can tell the app whatever "Network Type" you feel like having ;)
  13. xeudoxus

Use a app like "aLogcat" and email me the logcat (After you encounter both problems)

Send email to privacytools@xeudoxus.com

Thanks,
    -Matt
  14. dafischman

dafischman New Member

Thanks, it might be a bit, just put the phone on the charger. I'll get around to messing with it again in a bit.

Josh
  15. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

So in other words with any of these since it is only sending false data the apps should theoretically not break. Very cool stuff. Once again my hat is off to you sir. Outstanding job!
  16. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

What does it mean by "Warning! Cannot scan private apps"?
  17. xeudoxus

Privacy Blocker and Privacy Inspector are "nonroot" apps, so accessing the "private" app folder requires root. And even if you have root, PB is not setup to use root (As intended).

-Matt
  18. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

Interesting. I wasn't aware that apps could put themselves in the protected folder. TV.com and my Daily Dilbert are my two apps that do this.
  19. leprophotography

leprophotography New Member

Oh, just wondering, is it possible automatically to apply all the values automatically when new apps being downloaded? Without scanning it?
  20. xeudoxus

Possible, but im not going to do that (I do not want PB runnins in the background).

Im going to be adding "new" indicator on recent apps after a DB scan (So you know which apps you just added to DB)

-Matt
Search tags for this page
how to use privacy blocker for rage of bahamut
oom error privacy blocker
out out memory error privacy blocker
peggle the request was unauthorized
peggle unauthorized request

privacy blocker

privacy blocker 1.4.1 apk
privacy blocker apk
privacy blocker apk download
privacy blocker at&t