Solved [Support] issue with upper left hand corner after verizon update on Samsung S5

JaredTWade

Reaction score
Website
www.professionaleventhost.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Twitter
@JaredTWade
Very new to the forums and first time poster here. Be gentle my Android friends!

Just updated my s5 to the most recent software pushed by Verizon and now I am having an issue I've never had before. The upper left hand corner, where most, if not all, apps use as their three bar "menu" button is no longer responsive. Using Reddit Is Fun as an example, and I can't access my subreddit menu.

Anyone else having this issue or have any thoughts? I saw online someone stated that their note 5 was having the same issue but installing nova launcher seemed to fix it. I tried that and still not working. The only way I can get it to work is a complete reboot. It works, but only for a certain amount of time, then another reboot is needed.

Thoughts and assistance would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum @JaredTWade.

I would try a Factory Reset to see if it clears the issue. Please note that this reset will erase all your files and data, so please be sure to backup anything you wish to retain.

Let us know if this works for you...

OP
JaredTWade

JaredTWade

Reaction score
Website
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Twitter
@JaredTWade
Welcome to the Forum @JaredTWade.

I would try a Factory Reset to see if it clears the issue. Please note that this reset will erase all your files and data, so please be sure to backup anything you wish to retain.

Let us know if this works for you...
Thanks! Glad to be back in the forums! That is what I'm thinking I'll have to do, I was just hoping someone might be able to give a different possible answer before I spend time resetting and rebuilding my phone. Lol.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Have you checked with Verizon to see if they are aware of this issue and if so will they push a fix soon?????

OP
JaredTWade

JaredTWade

Reaction score
Website
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Twitter
@JaredTWade
Have you checked with Verizon to see if they are aware of this issue and if so will they push a fix soon?????
Not yet. It just started (with me noticing) yesterday, if it continues through tomorrow I will call, but I know they will have me do a factory reset as well... hence my hesitation calling them.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum! I'm with Jeffrey, a factory data reset is always advised after a major update like this, regardless of any problems. And yes, this will be the first thing Verizon will have you do.
Good luck, let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome aboard! I can't offer any advice that these guys haven't already given.

As great as new features in an update can be, they also come with their share of little bugs. For the most part, a factory reset will clear up those bugs, so I always prepare myself to do one when I know there's a big update coming.

OP
JaredTWade

JaredTWade

Reaction score
Website
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Twitter
@JaredTWade
Just thought I would give an update.

Uninstaller Facebook messenger and Facebook, reinstalled Facebook messenger and have yet yo encounter the issue again. Leaving Facebook in installed because now I found tapatalk and a new love of forums, so I can't positively say that either the main Facebook app or Facebook messenger app caused the issues but I'm not saying they didn't.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Thanks for the update...

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Strange. I have the updated version too and all the apps on my GS5 have the three dot menu buttons all on the right.

OP
JaredTWade

JaredTWade

Reaction score
Website
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Twitter
@JaredTWade
Strange. I have the updated version too and all the apps on my GS5 have the three dot menu buttons all on the right.
Sorry if I was being confusing... I'm talking about the area on the upper left, not three dots, but three bars. See image attached...
uploadfromtaptalk1453437902700.png

OP
JaredTWade

JaredTWade

Reaction score
Website
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Twitter
@JaredTWade
Like stated before. Once I Uninstalled Facebook messenger and the core app, everything works fine now. Reinstalled Facebook messenger and still good. Haven't reinstalled Facebook core app, and honestly don't plan on it lol.