SuperUser problem

Confusing

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid with Universal Androot, and it worked perfectly. I downloaded ROM Manager from the Market and started messing around with ROMs, but decided to stick with the stock one later on. I started messing around with kernels and overclocking, and everything went great. I did a recovery earlier today, because I was thinking about installing CyanogenMod. The recovery worked, but when the device booted up I got a notification for the update that enabled Flash 10.1. So I downloaded without thinking, and installed it. That's when it all went downhill. SuperUser Permissions refuses to respond now. ROM Manager doesn't work because you have to have those permissions, if I'm not mistaken, so I assumed I had become unrooted. I used Universal Androot to try and reroot it, but it told me that I was already rooted. So I tried unrooting. It failed. I did a factory reset, thinking that would just take care of everything, and it apparently didn't, as the SuperUser permissions icon is still there and Universal Androot still says I'm rooted.

Any help would be appreciated. I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already, so please try to take it easy on me for not searching thoroughly. Other than the problem stated above, the phone is working just fine. Also, this is my first Android device and I am loving it! :icon_ banana:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can boot into recovery power and "X" Then, hopefully you made a backup which you can restore and that will get you operational.

Mike

OP
C

Confusing

Reaction score
If you can boot into recovery power and "X" Then, hopefully you made a backup which you can restore and that will get you operational.

Mike

I can boot into recovery, but it's the stock Android system recovery menu. And as far as I know, you can't restore from it

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the problem with these "easy/universal root" options, you are probably going to have to flash the SBF file and while you are there you can flash SPR giving you Root Access again

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
link 3 in my sig will get you rooted The Right Way!

Edit: Not a superuser problem...a one button root problem, they are extremely unreliable!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not use RM so my comments may not apply.

In RM try the fix permissions and see if that may correct the issue. You are using RM with ClockWorkMod recovery, correct? If there a setting that allow you to install from the SD card you can download a new rom copy to your SD and install.

Another option, use this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html to install SPRecovery download a rom and install.

Finally, once you get operational, always make a backup with ClockWork or SPR before you make any changes.

Mike

XxSinisteRxX

Reaction score
I believe this is the same problem i had.

I rooted my Droid with Universal Androot, and it worked perfectly. I downloaded ROM Manager from the Market and started messing around with ROMs, but decided to stick with the stock one later on. I started messing around with kernels and overclocking, and everything went great. I did a recovery earlier today, because I was thinking about installing CyanogenMod. The recovery worked, but when the device booted up I got a notification for the update that enabled Flash 10.1. So I downloaded without thinking, and installed it. That's when it all went downhill. SuperUser Permissions refuses to respond now. ROM Manager doesn't work because you have to have those permissions, if I'm not mistaken, so I assumed I had become unrooted. I used Universal Androot to try and reroot it, but it told me that I was already rooted. So I tried unrooting. It failed. I did a factory reset, thinking that would just take care of everything, and it apparently didn't, as the SuperUser permissions icon is still there and Universal Androot still says I'm rooted.

Any help would be appreciated. I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already, so please try to take it easy on me for not searching thoroughly. Other than the problem stated above, the phone is working just fine. Also, this is my first Android device and I am loving it! :icon_ banana:

I was having a similar problem except i'm still receiving the OTA Update popup. To fix the Superuser Permissions issue, go to the Market and Search for Superuser. There's a new version 2.3.5 out that you need to download to restore your superuser permissions. Once that is installed, you can then access your superuser abilities again and rom manager. :)

XxSinisteRxX

Reaction score
Mike this should fix the problem.

In RM try the fix permissions and see if that may correct the issue. You are using RM with ClockWorkMod recovery, correct? If there a setting that allow you to install from the SD card you can download a new rom copy to your SD and install.

Another option, use this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html to install SPRecovery download a rom and install.

Finally, once you get operational, always make a backup with ClockWork or SPR before you make any changes.

Mike

The RM won't open correctly unless the Superuser Permissions app has been updated to the new 2.3.5 version. After that has been updated the error's will go away and restore permissions. Then he can go to RM and use the Fix Permissions option to cover any other errors. :) Just did it with my phone.

PS. My apologies Mike, i should've used the multi-quote option. >_<

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

The RM won't open correctly unless the Superuser Permissions app has been updated to the new 2.3.5 version. After that has been updated the error's will go away and restore permissions. Then he can go to RM and use the Fix Permissions option to cover any other errors. :) Just did it with my phone.

PS. My apologies Mike, i should've used the multi-quote option. >_<

Thanks for the tip and no apology needed :)

OP, let us know if this rectifies the issue.
:icon_ peace:

Mike

XxSinisteRxX

Reaction score
Tallica may i use the same sig?

Edit: Not a superuser problem...a one button root problem, they are extremely unreliable!

Tallica i was wondering if you could email me the code for your signature so i can use it as mine as well. You have a few very key links in yours that i would love to provide with my posts to help others out. Or if you can refresh my memory on how to add the links on my own using the html code, that'd be verrrryyyyy much appreciated. :) Thanks Tallica! :icon_ banana:<---Me after your help... lol

OP
C

Confusing

Reaction score

Yeah, I was new to rooting at the time, and didn't have any cash for EasyRoot lol.. And I actually tried that earlier today, and ran into a problem at step 10, where you hit start. The start button was greyed out, so I couldn't start. I just abandoned that when that happened

Mike

Tried the Fix Permissions already, and it didn't help.

And I already tried downloading the latest SuperUser application from the market, but that didn't work either

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Tallica i was wondering if you could email me the code for your signature so i can use it as mine as well. You have a few very key links in yours that i would love to provide with my posts to help others out. Or if you can refresh my memory on how to add the links on my own using the html code, that'd be verrrryyyyy much appreciated. :) Thanks Tallica! :icon_ banana:<---Me after your help... lol

Sure just copy the links you want to use and paste them into your sig.

No code necessary, Did you mean how to change your sig at all, cause I noticed you have one.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I was new to rooting at the time, and didn't have any cash for EasyRoot lol.. And I actually tried that earlier today, and ran into a problem at step 10, where you hit start. The start button was greyed out, so I couldn't start. I just abandoned that when that happened

That's a common problem, try putting a space at the end of the filename of the .sbf (in RSDLite) and then delete the space. Does the start button light up?

OP
C

Confusing

Reaction score
That's a common problem, try putting a space at the end of the filename of the .sbf (in RSDLite) and then delete the space. Does the start button light up?

Ah, yes! It worked. I'll follow the rest of the steps and see what happens. Thanks for the quick and helpful responses, guys :)

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Ah, yes! It worked. I'll follow the rest of the steps and see what happens. Thanks for the quick and helpful responses, guys :)

Great, let us know how it turns out:)