Superuser icon not going away

GoPackGo

Reaction score
Hello everybody, although I have not been an android user for long, this is already going to be most likely my last post of my android career. See my family has switched to T-mobile, and I have been forced to get a HTC HD7 (windows phone 7). This is because my dad works for microsoft (don't ask me why he let me get a droid in the first place because I don't even know). This means that I will no longer need any advice. I will probably always look at the forums because i'll still be curious but i wont need any advice.

Before I leave, I have one more question... I am trying to erase everything off of my phone so I can sell it. I have everything back to stock and it's unrooted but the super user icon won't go away. this is kind of a big deal because if the person who i'm selling this to isn't tech savvy then they won't use it and it will just void their warranty. I was wondering if there was a way I could get rid of it without having to use an sbf (my internet is going extremely slow so its taking forever to download). I already wiped data and cache so that doesn't work. btw it is unrooted because bootstrap doesn't work.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

Reaction score
I actually have one more question that could make this one not matter... if i were to sell it to someone, would they have a warranty?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You need to be rooted to remove the icon/apk. So, root again, then use the following to unroot.

- Download Terminal Emulator
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
- rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

Reaction score
Thanks, this will save me lots of time.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

Reaction score
when I try to type in su it tells me, "permission denied."

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually have one more question that could make this one not matter... if i were to sell it to someone, would they have a warranty?

From what I've seen Verizon will honor the warranty.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Like I said previously, you have to be rooted.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

Reaction score
I am, i know this because i have already used custom recovery

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're typing in SU and getting "Permission Denied," then you're either (a) not rooted or (b) you haven't given permission for Terminal.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Yes the warranty is voided if u sell it to another person .. if u do want to remove it u just have to flash the original Google software through your recovery .. u have to download the file and rename it to update.zip and flash .. it will work whether u are rooted or not .. had to return a warranty replacement and this left No trace of the phone being rooted .. got rid of the superuser icon and recovery flash screen .. I downloaded the file in one of the posts on this forum .. just not sure which one

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes the warranty is voided if u sell it to another person
We have had reports of members who have bought their devices used and had the Warranty honored - so this statement is not 100% true

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Yes the warranty is voided if u sell it to another person
We have had reports of members who have bought their devices used and had the Warranty honored - so this statement is not 100% true

How long ago? Verizons systems now trace esns .. if it has been on a previous account the warranty status in the computer shows up as having a previous user and wont let the Rep replace the phone

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

Reaction score
Yes the warranty is voided if u sell it to another person .. if u do want to remove it u just have to flash the original Google software through your recovery .. u have to download the file and rename it to update.zip and flash .. it will work whether u are rooted or not .. had to return a warranty replacement and this left No trace of the phone being rooted .. got rid of the superuser icon and recovery flash screen .. I downloaded the file in one of the posts on this forum .. just not sure which one

Is that the sbf that you do the update.zip with or is it something else? I have another question too, I am unrooted and custom recovery still comes up even though i am unrooted. I also uninstalled bootstrap and it reinstalls automatically. how do i fix this?

onsht1kll

Reaction score

Is that the sbf that you do the update.zip with or is it something else? I have another question too, I am unrooted and custom recovery still comes up even though i am unrooted. I also uninstalled bootstrap and it reinstalls automatically. how do i fix this?

U have to flash the update.zip through your custom recovery .. no flashing through sbf needed .. this will fix everything back to stock. Including your custom recovery .. give me a little bit to find the forum post .. gotta put my monkey to bed first

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

Reaction score
Ok thanks in advance. btw it looks like you own a droid 1... will this work for a D2?