Superuser and Deleting Apps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hookbill, Jun 11, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Simply put, I don't know how to do this. I have Superuser installed and would like to be able to remove some apps off of my phone itself but I'm not figuring it out. So can this only be done with a custom ROM or am I missing something?

I've tried going into applications but the delete button is gray. I don't see anything in Superuser that does anything to provide this.

If someone could take a moment to explain I would appreciate it.

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Can you rename the apk?

3. hookbill

Ratings:
    +7
    OK, give me an example. Let's say I want to remove the stock email (not gmail) app. What are you suggesting? I don't know how I could rename the apk.

4. k1ng617

k1ng617 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am wondering too. I am new to rooting (just yesterday, because of the underwhelming specs of the Droid2) and the two things I wanted to do after rooting was overclock a little to improve performance and also get rid of some of the junk apps that came stock ie: AmazonMP3, Corporate Calendar, Google Goggles, Car Home, the news and weather widget, twitter, and visual vm.

Is it stupid to want to get rid of these and will it cause issues for me? My main reasoning is that I want to speed up my phone.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. hookbill

Ratings:
    +7
    I have two car home apps on my phone some how. I only need one. I'm just trying to clear up some space too for things I know I'll never use.

I don't know what happened to corporate calendar. That's disappeared on it's own. :shocked:

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Integrated with the Calendar app....

On the renaming the apk, I heard others talk about it.
    The way I have deleted apps was to run scripts that were in custom roms.

7. GregNY

GregNY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you remove Apps by going into the settings "app", then applications, then manage applications, and remove anything from there?? I'm running BB but have still used this way to remove any apps I wish to get rid of....

8. k1ng617

k1ng617 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish it were that easy. I can delete apps that I installed from there, however anything that was already included w/ the firmware the uninstall button is greyed out. Also I have tried using "ES file explorer" finding the application and attempt to uninstall through there. But when I try that it says the uninstall was unsuccessful.

9. GregNY

GregNY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeahhh had a feeling it wasn't that easy, I was just unclear as to what you were exactly trying to uninstall I suppose...

10. ecsnead69

ecsnead69 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just download root explorer or titanium backup and both will delete system apps, which are ones that were already installed on your phone. Be careful though, I have heard that deleting the stock email app will screw up the others?!!?? Titanim backup will also give you the option to freeze apps to see how your phone reacts for a couple days to see if deleting them will mess things up. If it doesn't just delete the app, if it does just "defrost" the app and everything is good... hope that helps....

11. hookbill

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I downloaded this too and because it said gmail on the stock email app I let it be. So far I've deleted facebook. Everything else I still want to keep. For now.

Oh and fwiw you can move root explorer to the SD card.

12. k1ng617

k1ng617 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so here is my experience. I am currently rooted 2.2 Froyo w/ the Droid-Life rom and I downloaded Titanium Backup (free version.) I used that to uninstall:

Twitter, Google Goggles, Amazon MP3, Car Home, Visual VM and Google Voice.

I might be missing one or two more that I can't remember. I have tried all other apps for about an hour now, made VM calls text messages played games etc and I have yet to find any issues. However, what does appear odd is that my available internal memory doesn't seem to have moved, although I cannot confirm this because I don't remember what it was before but it is still awfully low for what I have on my phone right now @ 173mb.

I will update if I have any other findings to report, but so far so good.

13. dlr4411

dlr4411 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Froyo, where are you?

I keep seeing folks say they have installed 2.2, but after talking to the drones at vzw and lg, I am told they know nothing of its existence. Which I happen to be certain is BS. Mainly, because my lg ally fm Verizon has been trying to download and install a 13.3 MB update for the past ten days. It gets to 56% of install and locks, showing a green guy with an exclamation mark inside a triangle over his head. Only way out of that is take out the battery.

If I hit the power button while the ally is frozen I get some messages from clockworkMod, which tells me what it has done to the point where it fails and locks everything. So, 13.3 seems to be the size of Froyo and that makes me sure it is trying to install such.

Where can I find a download of 2.2 Froyo with instructions on how to manually install it, please?

When I go to About Phone it tells me all is up to date, but the version shows 2.1 version 1.

Any help is appreciated.

14. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Clockwork is blocking the install. It happens with custom recovery images.

Lg ally is getting the 2.2 upgrade!!!!! Froyo~~~~!!! - Page 3 - Android Forums

The update should be pushed out soon. What you're getting now is a software update, NOT an OS upgrade.

The people who say they've flashed FroYo are talking about flashing custom ROMs or a leaked build, which I'm not finding. Have you considered flashing a custom ROM?

Search tags for this page
delete apps with superuser
how to delete apps superuser

how to delete apps using superuser

how to delete apps with superuser

how to remove apps with superuser

how to use superuser

how to use superuser to delete apps

superuser remove apps
uninstall apps with superuser
use superuser to remove apps