Super-Powered Mystery Verizon HTC Device Benchmarked; 1080p Display & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-hulk.jpeg

Late last night some intriguing benchmarks showed up on GLBenchmark. Apparently, HTC is working on a ridiculously powerful new flagship phone for Verizon, that will come with the Qualcomm MSM8960 quad-core Snapdragon S4 with Adreno 320 graphics and a 1080p display. Yep, you read that right, a 1080p phone. According to the benchmarks, the resolution of the display will be 1794 x 1080, which would be just enough room to accomodate buttons at the bottom.

benchmarks-htc-mega-mystery.jpeg

What's even more intriguing about this device is the monster power that the quad-core Snapdragon S4 CPU with Adreno 320 graphics pushes. The benchmarks are simply amazing, and dominate anything else on the market by upwards of 60%. Could we be seeing the first follow-up to the HTC One X? Obviously, we will keep an eye on this and keep you guys informed.

Source: PhoneArena and GLBenchmark

npro1464

Reaction score
I'll be the first to say it- bet it will have a locked bootloader.

nikecar

Reaction score
You won't see it until Google has whatever OS starts with the letter Q out on the market (i.e. a long time from now)

ExodusC

Reaction score
I'm curious, how do we know this is a phone and not a tablet? A 1080p RGB matrix LCD on anything that is phone-sized seems like it's getting to the point where we'd be wasting CPU/GPU cycles pushing such a huge number of pixels.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm curious, how do we know this is a phone and not a tablet? A 1080p RGB matrix LCD on anything that is phone-sized seems like it's getting to the point where we'd be wasting CPU/GPU cycles pushing such a huge number of pixels.

The info seems to push phone. Like the fact that it's a world device.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
720p on a phone held, presumably, 1-2 feet from your face is essentially a TRUE (cough cough Apple cough cough) retina display. Human eye can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p at those distances on a screen that size.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
You won't see it until Google has whatever OS starts with the letter Q out on the market (i.e. a long time from now)
Why so negative? Technology evolves everyday, and the only thing listed there we haven't seen is a 1080p display on a phone. HTC surprised us with the One X, so I wouldn't be surprised if this came out great.

Any woo, this is the only phone that has made me think about switching from my Nexus :/

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Psssh, it will still be a freaking $700 phone when it drops and won't be at a reasonable price until its been out for three or four years. Yes, I'm here to rain on the parade.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
yeah but does it have cloaking abilities?.....didn't think so.