Super Moderators-Will I Be Banned?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wcmlophiz, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcmlophiz

wcmlophiz New Member

As a new Droid owner, I found this main Droid website to understand my phone. I noticed this "Droid Hacks - Discussions for hacking Droid Phones" listed within it. Let's check it out.

What a suprise this site turned out to be. The four sticky's at the top of the forum range from angry to disingenuous.

Let's start with some yardstick. What is the definition of Hacking?

From Wikipedia:

Hacker (computing), a contentious term used for several types of person:
    • Hacker (computer security) or cracker, who accesses a computer system by circumventing its security system
    • Hacker (programmer subculture), who shares an anti-authoritarian approach to software development now associated with the free software movement
    • Hacker (hobbyist), who makes innovative customizations or combinations of retail electronic and computer equipment
    Are we Door number 1, 2, or 3 above?

Since the stated goal of this site is to obtain access to the 'root' of the Android OS, it is clear a forum member seeks to become a 'Super Administrator'. Why? To circumvent the Droid's security system and develop 'unauthorized feature enhancements' (a.k.a. hacks). This is a theft of services and is absolutely outside of the TOS.

So I identify this site as Door number 1.

I can only assume the four Sticky's are sanctimonious boiler plate to cover up the real intentions of this site.

BTW, I don't have any issues with hacks. I love Homebrew on my WII. :heart:

I just find the irony on this website, over the top.

I guess there is 'Honor Among Thieves'.

DISCLAIMER: wcmlophiz
    can not be held responsible for anything related to tampering with your mind.
  2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

I'm sorry, I must be missing your point.. No, you won't get banned, we ban for spam and bad behavior. If you want to "hack" your droid, to whatever end that may be, you are welcome to it. However, it is not the main goal of this site like you said. I have no intention of rooting mine, even if it does prove to be safe and reliable. I am here to learn about the device, just like everybody else. The only thing I do differently is that I ban spammer IPs. Hack away my friend, if you feel so inclined. We just aren't taking any responsibility for it ;)
  3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

There were many reasons for creating the stickies at the top. The first one that deals with, this is what root means, was written because there was about 10's of threads just asking plainly what was root. So they created a sticky to make sure they understood. As for my 2 posts, they were spawned from 2 various problems. Droid hacks doesn't mean lets hack the planet. We do not support the theft of programs on this forum, there were multiple threads on the "can we get paid apps for free" basis, that's why that one got created. The other of mine, is pretty self explanatory. We don't allow for solicitation on the board, which there was about 3-4 posts on, so it was giving in a warning nature.

The last one was there basically stating we don't support all of this, if you want to do it, that's your own thing, but do not come back to us saying that you found this on our forum and it broke your phone, wanting the admins to pay for a new phone. So before that happened we decided to add the last sticky.
  4. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

So I don't generally respond to flamers, but I'll give this a one line shot.

You like homebrew? Great, we do too, just with added benefits for our phones like wifi tethering and custom ROMs.

Answer your question?

KThx
  5. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Yeah, those stickys are there because we have already run into those problems. But you wouldn't know that since your first post was just popping off about something you clearly don't know anything about. Why don't you just let us do the job we have been doing, and you can either contribute and learn, or you can leave. Frankly, I would rather you stay and enjoy what is here.. But that's up to you. If you can't stand the apparent disingenuous sticky threads, that's fine too.
  6. carbonnoid

carbonnoid New Member

Why steal programs? most of the programs are 1 dollar. The good one's i paid for like phonemypc for 10 dollars and jetflicks for 11. TOTALLY WORTH IT. IF i could get root my phone and put sense ui on this droid, i will be so happy. That is why i wanna root it. Maybe you had another thought coming here and getting your phone rooted...
  7. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

This is an interesting thread :mad:. The other Mods have spoken and i'll leave it at that, but man why make this your first post. hE SHOULD HAVE JUST SAID :stupid:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.