Super Battery Life , Smart Actions and Juice Defender

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I agree, I'm not worried about power savings per say, although power savings even with such a large battery is a good thing.
What I really like is turning BT on or off or WiFi on or off set the screen brightness, when needed.

Smart Actions allows you to set up you phone on schedule on the days you need it, kinda easy and fun but you gotta play with the settings.

Do you see the need to use Smart Actions and Juice Defender?

Sent from my DROIDX

Sal

Reaction score
I agree with your plan.

With respect to conditioning the battery, I'm not sure whether it is necessary, but, as you said, it can't hurt to give it a try. The funny thing is, to condition mine, I intentionally left my Maxx on all day (almost 11 hours) yesterday with the music player going (even when I wasn't listening), adding new apps, etc., and with the display on with full brightness...and at the end of the day it still had 25% of the battery left! Today, I've been using it heavily for about 7 hours, and it's at 62%. Pretty amazing.

By the way, thanks much for the recommendation on the Circle battery widget. I tried it, and love it - particularly the fact that it gives the 'exact' level, rather than doing it in 10% increments. Far and away the best battery widget I've tried.

So jealous! Mine might be a little better today, but not that good! Glad you like the widget and thanks for the supportive words...:)

dwm2112

Reaction score
Sal - I am seeing pretty close to what you are stating. I can get 16 to 17 hours of moderate usage before I am down to the 15 to 20 percent battery warnings. I have also only had my phone for 2 days and plan to give it a few more charging cycles before getting too concerned. I am coming from an HTC Evo 4G that I had a 3500ma extended battery on and the Moto is no better than it was and possibly worse which is not at all what I expected. Again, hoping this turns around with a few more charging cycles. Keep us updated on your results and I will do the same.

If I could only get the kind battery life others are getting on their Maxxs. I've had it for two days (Tuesday afternoon) and have charged it four times. I put that good Circle Battery widget on and I know I lose 1-3 points of battery just by checking an email. I can lose 10-15 points with 30 minutes of any kind of constant use.

Mine doesn't seem to be nearly as long-lasting as others here are reporting. I'm hoping it will resolve in a couple of days of natural use -- as others say -- because now I'm wondering if I just got one with a bad battery. When I check the battery usage percentages, it looks like my display is just eating up the juice (at around 50% most of the time), no matter how I set brightness, etc. I even tried a factory reset last night. Still weak, based on other's reports.

SEColwell

Reaction score
I have the Razr and I am getting 16 hrs a day with moderate to heavy use.....no music streaming but lots of web surfing, texting, Facebook, Twitter, forums, and the only things I have set on smart actions are low battery at 10% it turns everything off except phone and text and bed time turns ringer off dims screen.

Really glad I didn't spend the extra $100.00 for the maxx

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Sal - I am seeing pretty close to what you are stating. I can get 16 to 17 hours of moderate usage before I am down to the 15 to 20 percent battery warnings. I have also only had my phone for 2 days and plan to give it a few more charging cycles before getting too concerned. I am coming from an HTC Evo 4G that I had a 3500ma extended battery on and the Moto is no better than it was and possibly worse which is not at all what I expected. Again, hoping this turns around with a few more charging cycles. Keep us updated on your results and I will do the same.

Huh!!?? You're getting 16 to 17 hours of moderate usage, you still have 15 to 20% left, and you're complaining?? :blink: That's exactly the usage which a number of the reviews have indicated we should expect from this phone ( see, for example, Review: Droid RAZR Maxx Delivers Great Battery Life for a Steep Price | Complex), and it seems pretty darned good to me - particularly coming from my Incredible, where I was lucky to get 7 to 8 hours of moderate usage Secondly, the battery in the Maxx is 3300 mAh. Why would you expect to get more hours from that battery than you did from the 3500 mAh battery in your Evo?

Zlow

Reaction score
I left everything default and screen brightness not on automatic and have went as much as 20 hrs on a long day. It was down to 20% when I put it on charge. That included about 3 hrs talk time and gps , wifi on all the time. I have not determined if any one thing other than the display really has a large effect on the battery life? I use smart actions for convience.

egpowers

Reaction score
I am starting my third day with the Maxx. It will be a personal preference as to use of Smart Actions or not for battery life. I guess it depends on where your at, how much you travel and how much you use various functions. Thursday was my first full day with the phone, didn't have smart actions activated yet. I travel across a 3 state area every day as a trucker. After 11 hrs on the charger and a 12 hr day at work, mine was at 15% charge remaining when I got home. That was with heavy data use for downloads, facebook and web surfing. Second day of use, my smart actions had kicked in, overnight charging, couple of hours of data, calls, FB, etc., and playing angry birds, I still had 30% charge left after 15 hrs of use. I need to make some tweaks to the settings, but I bet I can get even longer battery time.

Sal

Reaction score

Will do. Its so hard to compare apples and oranges with battery usage. For instance, I used around 10% yesterday from 20 minutes of live streaming. But a review I read said they were able to run Braveheart through three times before the battery died. No way I could do that.

dwm2112

Reaction score
Before I purchased i had read reviews showing 2 day charge cycles. I also see other users claiming longer periods with heavier use. Hence my statement that my results are less than I expected. Glad you are happy with your results but I am still expecting better. I have a co-worker with the non maxx version and my battery life is not appreciably better than his...

Huh!!?? You're getting 16 to 17 hours of moderate usage, you still have 15 to 20% left, and you're complaining?? :blink: That's exactly the usage which a number of the reviews have indicated we should expect from this phone ( see, for example, Review: Droid RAZR Maxx Delivers Great Battery Life for a Steep Price | Complex), and it seems pretty darned good to me - particularly coming from my Incredible, where I was lucky to get 7 to 8 hours of moderate usage Secondly, the battery in the Maxx is 3300 mAh. Why would you expect to get more hours from that battery than you did from the 3500 mAh battery in your Evo?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Will do. Its so hard to compare apples and oranges with battery usage. For instance, I used around 10% yesterday from 20 minutes of live streaming. But a review I read said they were able to run Braveheart through three times before the battery died. No way I could do that.

I agree Braveheart three times in a row (shudder) don't you get a medal for something like that.

One thing you gotta remember, the 29 hours I got was only 10 really heavy, 7 hours of no use (I was asleep), and the balance was moderate to light usage.

Perhaps you do have a bad battery?

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

Sal

Reaction score
"]I agree Braveheart three times in a row (shudder) don't you get a medal for something like that."

:D lol

Sal

Reaction score
Well, I broke down this morning and ordered a replacement Maxx. The nice Verizon guy said some interesting stuff. Firstly, that he's seen almost no need for returns on either the Razr and Maxx. Very few issues. Also, that there are supply shortages of the phone in some warehouses. Luckily he found me one! Should have it Wednesday. Fingers crossed!