Sunday Evening Chat: Who is buying a Nexus 6 for Xmas?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
spy-vs-spy1.jpg

Want to start this thread off asking if any of you planning on buying a Nexus 6 for Christmas? If you are on Verizon and are tired of waiting for big red check out our "Sim Unlock" to find out how to get that AT&T Nexus 6 working on the world's most reliable network. Our very own @smalltowngirl13 is currently running her At&t Nexus 6 on Verizon.

Now to the Chat:

First topic: With news that Motorola may be releasing a Motorola phablet, which corresponds to an earlier report made by Tktechnews, I am obliged to ask the question if Verizon may release the Moto phablet instead of the Nexus 6. We know that Verizon do not play well with others especially Google as Verizon wants complete control of their device. Google on the other hand may have compromised with the Nexus 6 but is it enough for Verizon?
I could see Verizon preferring to pass up the Nexus 6 in exchange for a Motorola phablet that they can brand as a Droid device while maintaining complete control. And before people get hyped up with the fact that there was an announcement that Verizon would get a Nexus 6, this would not be the first time Verizon was slated to get a nexus and backed out. The HTC Incredible was rumored to be the Verizon variant of the Nexus One only to be come a droid-line device instead. So Verizon is capable of calling an audible and deciding to instead go with a device that they can not only put their stamp on but also lock it so that it is a Verizon exclusive.

Do you think we will still see a Verizon Nexus 6 or will Verizon instead go with the Moto phablet?

The State of the Wearables: @cereal killer in his opinion on wearable tech felt like it still have a ways to go and I agree with him. I was one who impatiently waited for the Moto 360, swearing it was the only way to do an android watch, only to return it less than a week after having it. Like CK I felt like android wear is just too green. It literally reminded me of the earlier android software seen in 2009 where you knew it was full of potential but was not on the level worth the cost unless you wanted to pay to be an early adopter. I chose instead to wait for either android wear to improve or wearables to get cheaper. Thanks to the CyberMonday deal I was able to acquire a LG G watch, think Nexus for wearables, and I must admit I prefer this over the 360. The preconceived notions I had about the proprietary chargers and its shape (square vs round) were thrown out. The charger works great and the battery life is not bad, maybe not a two or three day device, but I am use to charging my phone nightly so I do not see why charging a watch would be that big of a deal. Now would I have bought the G watch at $199, eh I considered it but I really feel like $79-$99 is a sweet price point for the device especially since android wear clearly is in its beginning stages. At this point I think if Google was to drop the price of the G watch to $89 they would get a surge in the adoption of the android watch by the public. The question is if android wear is mature enough to garner wide adoption by the public, especially with other options that are either on the market or on the horizon?

Nexus Player or Chromecast: Since the release on the Nexus Player I have been wondering if the jump to the device would be worth it especially for those of us who own a Chromecast. At $35 the Chromecast have exploded on the scenes and with the cheap price point, ease of use, and positive word of mouth more and more are giving the Chromecast a try. The simplicity of being able to cast media from multiple platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android) and devices with very little set up and people, regardless of age or tech knowledge, are jumping on the Chromecast wagon. Now with Google taking another crack at android tv and trying to compete with set top boxes like the Amazon Fire Tv, Roku, and Apple Tv, I can't help to feel like Google could be cannibalizing themselves. I understand that Nexus devices are Google's way to get a feel of the market but I felt like they did that already with the Chromecast. Are you ready to adopt the Nexus Player or are you content with sticking to the Chromecast?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I would absolutely love to jump on the Nexus 6 bandwagon, however, I have to pay full price to keep my unlimited data. I recently opted for the Moto X 2014 after the Cyber Monday deal. I am going to test drive it for a bit, and if it's not up to snuff (specifically in the battery department), then I may just bite the bullet and fork out the extra money.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
In order to keep our two unlimited plans we knew well in advance we would have to pay full price, so we saved up the $1600 dollars over the course of 5-6 months. We originally wanted 2 developer edition S5s, but after waiting almost 2 additional months due to them being on backorder, we went with the retail versions. Within that 2 months we got root anyways, so we couldn't be happier. Good luck supermandroid....Hang onto that unlimited!

S5 tap'n

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
In order to keep our two unlimited plans we knew well in advance we would have to pay full price, so we saved up the $1600 dollars over the course of 5-6 months. We originally wanted 2 developer edition S5s, but after waiting almost 2 additional months due to them being on backorder, we went with the retail versions. Within that 2 months we got root anyways, so we couldn't be happier. Good luck supermandroid....Hang onto that unlimited!

S5 tap'n

Kudos to you for thinking ahead and thanks for the motivation! There's currently no root available for the Moto X 2014 on the latest version of KitKat. I'm a bit nervous! Not to derail the topic, though, I'm curious about the rumored Motorola phablet as well. Although I read an article from Chainfire, recently, that makes it sound like the only devices that will even be able to obtain root will be those with unlockable bootloaders. A Nexus device or dev edition is starting to sound like the only option to those who still want to root/ROM their phones!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
my Jump is ready in less than 3 months for TMobile and I'm grandfathered into the original plan so I pay nothing to upgrade every 6 months. I plan on getting a Nexus 6 unless something magically amazing comes out before then.

Tonik

Reaction score
I've been running a Sprint Nexus 6 on Verizon since launch day; no SIM unlock required.
How did you get your sim card. I am buying one from google or moto as soon as they make more but I don't have a Verizon nano sim.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would absolutely love to jump on the Nexus 6 bandwagon, however, I have to pay full price to keep my unlimited data. I recently opted for the Moto X 2014 after the Cyber Monday deal. I am going to test drive it for a bit, and if it's not up to snuff (specifically in the battery department), then I may just bite the bullet and fork out the extra money.

Or you could buy it through best buy (sprint or att version) and use the sim card you have for the line and put it in the nexus 6. Now for the att version you would have to first unlock the sim

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I suggest buying through best buy because you can buy it on the card and pay it off (monthly payments).

djsiva

Reaction score
How did you get your sim card. I am buying one from google or moto as soon as they make more but I don't have a Verizon nano sim.

I already had a nano sim from my Moto X 2014, but you could probably get an authorized dealer to help you out. Most of the dealers I know are pretty shady. Lol. All you need is another phone to activate the sim, then you can plug that sim into the Nexus 6.

I actually have a few unused nano Sims laying around from previous purchases, but that still doesn't help you with needing a phone to activate them.

Tonik

Reaction score
I already had a nano sim from my Moto X 2014, but you could probably get an authorized dealer to help you out. Most of the dealers I know are pretty shady. Lol. All you need is another phone to activate the sim, then you can plug that sim into the Nexus 6.

I actually have a few unused nano Sims laying around from previous purchases, but that still doesn't help you with needing a phone to activate them.
Appreciate the info. Just had an interesting online chat with Verizon. They said buy the phone and that they would be happy to give me a sim and to call with the imei when I got it and they would activate the phone. I captured the chat just in case.