Sunday Evening Chat: Android style week 5: The impact of the Google Play Store

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
131211-lg-gpad-8.3-xperia-z-ultra-google-edition.jpg

Will Google play edition device garner an audience or is it too expensive for customers to consider?

ces2014.jpg

What do you want to see at ces?

nexuswatch.png

Where do you want to see wearable technology go in the future?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google devices need to be affordable to majority, aka under $300 off contract.

Ces I could care less about.

Wearable tech I can see be useful to elderly and disabled. Other then that, it's a niche market that I don't see becoming main stream.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think Google Edition devices are too expensive. That being said, companies like Motorola that are starting to finance their devices separately from the carrier can fix that. You buy a device, financed from Moto or whoever and bring it to a carrier to activate. This also lessens the hit on parents of kids who are begging for a smart phone. The phone is separate so you don't have to sign a contract. You can take the phone from them and cancel the service immediately. You aren't hogtied into a contract and feel like you have to let your kid keep the phone because you are paying for it no matter what. The parent can keep paying $20 a month (or whatever it is) for the device which is way less than a contract amount for service and can even use the device as their own if they so choose. Thats how I think Google Edition devices should work.

CES...more things around the house to control from my phone. Stuff like lights, curtains, garage door, etc all controlled from your phone. Sure, that stuff exists but you need different remotes, you need proprietary systems for it. I want companies to start using a smart device (phone or tablet) for the control unit and the actual hardware items connect to wifi. No need for an overhaul of your house systems. You plug it in, download the app and off you go. Make them affordable though. If I could get a device that replaces a light switch or adds on to it behind the cover plate that was around $5 to $10 each, I'd jump on it and replace all the switches in my house. One press of a button on my phone and every light in the house turns off, or on. Chromecast is $35 bucks and can do so much. Why does a device that does one or two things for your house need to cost that much or even close to it. I'm tired of seeing new phones with one spec updated that doesn't matter.

I don't see wearable technology going anywhere to be honest. You have to buy an expensive piece of tech that only works if you have another equally or more expensive piece of tech for it to talk to. I have a smartphone that does everything the Samsung Watch does. Why would I want to have to worry about charging two devices and pay for both of them. Google Glass, to me, is useless but at least it does something new. Until you start to see things like an eyePhone, I doubt it'll catch on. Google Glass will be used for very specific things but I doubt will be a mass item in the public for personal everyday use. Cops using them is one area. Walk up to a car, have it scan the license plate and give you a report. Facial recognition of a driver, that kind of stuff. But even that is way out IMO.

Hiroller173

Reaction score
One of the companies with flexible screen technology will develop a smartphone that wraps around your wrist, i.e. a phone in a wide bracelet format. No need for a separate smartwatch or to carry anything in your pocket. The only problem will be how to wear it with a long sleeve shirt!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
A smartphone around your wrist will not last long, being exposed on the wrist it will eventually get banged up.

jspradling7

Reaction score
@johnomaz
I've put a Nexia system in my house recently. Thermostat, door locks, lights switches, plugs, motion, cameras, even opening blinds work great. And, I can view and control it from my phones. I spend 11 bucks a month and my cameras record to the cloud. It's all Z-Wave and it's getting very standardized. The devices are closer to 30 dollars than 10 but I only changed the things I want to control automatically or remotely. I'm luvin it.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
@johnomaz
I've put a Nexia system in my house recently. Thermostat, door locks, lights switches, plugs, motion, cameras, even opening blinds work great. And, I can view and control it from my phones. I spend 11 bucks a month and my cameras record to the cloud. It's all Z-Wave and it's getting very standardized. The devices are closer to 30 dollars than 10 but I only changed the things I want to control automatically or remotely. I'm luvin it.

I think Google Edition devices are too expensive. That being said, companies like Motorola that are starting to finance their devices separately from the carrier can fix that. You buy a device, financed from Moto or whoever and bring it to a carrier to activate. This also lessens the hit on parents of kids who are begging for a smart phone. The phone is separate so you don't have to sign a contract. You can take the phone from them and cancel the service immediately. You aren't hogtied into a contract and feel like you have to let your kid keep the phone because you are paying for it no matter what. The parent can keep paying $20 a month (or whatever it is) for the device which is way less than a contract amount for service and can even use the device as their own if they so choose. Thats how I think Google Edition devices should work.

CES...more things around the house to control from my phone. Stuff like lights, curtains, garage door, etc all controlled from your phone. Sure, that stuff exists but you need different remotes, you need proprietary systems for it. I want companies to start using a smart device (phone or tablet) for the control unit and the actual hardware items connect to wifi. No need for an overhaul of your house systems. You plug it in, download the app and off you go. Make them affordable though. If I could get a device that replaces a light switch or adds on to it behind the cover plate that was around $5 to $10 each, I'd jump on it and replace all the switches in my house. One press of a button on my phone and every light in the house turns off, or on. Chromecast is $35 bucks and can do so much. Why does a device that does one or two things for your house need to cost that much or even close to it. I'm tired of seeing new phones with one spec updated that doesn't matter.

I don't see wearable technology going anywhere to be honest. You have to buy an expensive piece of tech that only works if you have another equally or more expensive piece of tech for it to talk to. I have a smartphone that does everything the Samsung Watch does. Why would I want to have to worry about charging two devices and pay for both of them. Google Glass, to me, is useless but at least it does something new. Until you start to see things like an eyePhone, I doubt it'll catch on. Google Glass will be used for very specific things but I doubt will be a mass item in the public for personal everyday use. Cops using them is one area. Walk up to a car, have it scan the license plate and give you a report. Facial recognition of a driver, that kind of stuff. But even that is way out IMO.

Ninja blocks... and the new ninja spheres.

Ninja Sphere | Ninja Blocks

I'm definitely goign to start automating my house using these.